Social Buttons
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore refrigerator water dispenser drips

Default Kenmore refrigerator water dispenser drips

Need HELP analyzing a refrigerator problem.
    I have a Sears Kenmore refrigerator that has a problem that I have not been able to resolve.
    It has a contract service agreement and Sears has not been able to resolve the problems yet.
    This is a very rare and strange problem and should be able to fix, but no one has succeeded yet.
    Sears Kenmore Model 106.54582400 side by side with ice maker and water dispenser in the door.
    New April 2006. Manufactured by Whirlpool. Serial Number ST 1525193
    Problem: Water oozes from the water dispenser in the door and forms a drip. About one drip every two hours.
    1 - Installed a new house main water line pressure regulator and set the water pressure to 55 lbs.
    2 - Installed a new hot water heater. GE 50 gallon natural gas model.
    3 - Install new water expansion tank on the cold water side of the hot water heater.
    4 - Installed a separate water line pressure regulator in the inch copper water line to refrigerator.
    5 - Set the water pressure in the refrigerator water line from 24 lbs up to 55 lbs by adjusting the setting screw turn at a time and it still drips at all water pressures.
    6 - Set the water pressure in the refrigerator water line from 55 lbs down to 24 lbs by adjusting the setting screw turn at a time and it still drips at all water pressures.
    7. Always run at least six gallons of water to remove all air bubbles by using a plastic tube and a bucket.
    8. Installed special connector part number 2314271 and installed in the line under the door. Helped some, but it still drips.
    9. Installed new turn water valve in water line for better water flow. No improvement.
    10. When the washer runs, the drip is worse. It causes puddles about the size of quarters.
    - The water shut-off valve has been replaced FIVE different times and they all drip. This refrigerator has had a total of six water valves on it and they all ooze water and cause a drip. The last one was replaced three days ago and started to drip two hours after the serviceman left. The servicemen have no solution, other than to say, you have a lemon. This refrigerator has already been replaced once.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what the problems can be?
    Please tell me your ideas.
    Thanks you, Mike.
    Mike Colborn
    770-487-2324
    mc-sc@mindspring.com

wow, that is odd.

So your water line to your refrigerator comes from where? Your cold side of the hot water heater?

How about just having a plumber install a brand new separate water line from underneath your sink on the cold water supply, and having a regular water shut-off valve like you have for your cold water side to your sink?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Water Drip

Thanks Jake, I liked your reply "wow". I have more colorful words to use.

The feed for the water line comes in the basement on 3/4 copper for about 20 feet, then I have a tee with a 1/2 copper feeding directly up to the refrigerator with a new 1/4 turn valve, installed yesterday and it hooks to 1/4 flexable white renforced hose that came with the refrigerator. I have a gauge installed in this line and it shows 41 lbs pressure. This is the first connection closest to the water inlet to the house.

A new replacement Whirlpool water inlet valve was installed Saturday 10/20/06 and two hours after the serviceman left, it started to ooze a drip from the dispenser. When the washer runs there are two puddles about the size of a quarter in a plastic tray under the dispenser.

This has been a hard nut to crack. I have replaced everything I can think of at this time,

Mike

When the washer runs there are two puddles about the size of a quarter in a plastic tray under the dispenser.
    It only does it when your washer runs? Now thats very strange!
    I have never seen or heard of this happening before, I'm stumped as well.
    Hopefully another tech. or member that has seen this happen before can post a fix here.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Water Drip

The water dispenser oozes a drip out about every two hours, but when the washing machine runs it leaks even faster and leaves puddles of water. To me the problem is, the water shut-off valves are not strong enough to stop the water flow. But I have a water regulator installed in the 1/4 water line for the refridgerator and can change the water pressure from 24 lbs to 48 lbs and it still leaks.

This refridgerator has had a total of six shut-off valves on it, five plus the original. Using three different part numbers.
    Sears Kelmore Model: 106.54582400 Serial No: ST 1525193 Built 04 2006.

Hello Jake.

I have contacted Whirlpool Techline about it and they won't let me talk to anyone and send me back to Sears. I sent Whirlpool Techline an email about the problem and haven't received an answer yet.

I would hope someone from Whirlpool would want to know why the water shut-off valves they install are failing in the field. More money has been spent trying to repair this unit than it cost. Something is causing the problem, but so far, no one has been able to find it.

Thanks for your help.

Mike C

Yea, thats very odd, but this issue is very rare, thats why they are having trouble fixing it. I myself in my 19 years of appliance repair have never seen this happen before.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Water Drip

Thanks for the feedback. I will continue to look for a solution. Do you know of any way I could contact someone within Whirlpool that may provide some information of what to do, like a special heavy duty replacement part number or something?

Thanks,

Mike C

Not off hand, The Sears tech. can call STAC and they can get a 3-way conference call to Whirlpool directly.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Water Drip

Thanks a lot Jake. That is the information I have been looking for.

I will try it.

Mike C

Hope it all works ok.

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast