Thread: Replace HE3t Baffle

Default Replace HE3t Baffle

Hello all and thanks in-advance for reading. Using the search didn't yield any answers to this question, but if this has already been answered elsewhere, I'd appreciate a link.

Hope someone can help me decide whether or not to try replacing a broken baffle on my own for a 2002 Kenmore HE3t (Model # 110.42934200). If the tub needs removed, I'll probably call for service.

I saw the following post in the applianceblog daily diary for August 23, 2004: http://www.applianceblog.com/archives/the_daily_diary/

"2001 Kenmore Whirlpool Built Front Load Washer: Baffle broken, There is a Baffle Kit Whirlpool makes, its a lifesaver! You dont have to pull out the tub to install it, pulling out the tub is very time consuming."

This is the part that I have - I think it's the part mentioned in the blog. I guess I'll replace all three as they are shaped differently than the baffles that came with the washer.
    http://www.repairclinic.com/referral...1265&N=1058883

Here are my questions:

1. How do I (or can I) get the old baffles out without removing the tub? Do they just snap out?

2. While it looks like the new baffles could just snap in, there also a screw included for each baffle. Are the screws needed for the HE3t or is this one of those kits that works for a number of different machines and the screw is for installation in a different product?

Thanks again,
    AJ

Hi AJ,

This kit looks different than the one I did back in Aug, 2004. I remember it came with a screw back then, I don't see a screw in this kit. Now they may have changed the design of how these baffles go on now, but I haven't needed to do another one of these baffle installs since Aug. 2004.

Hopefully another tech. or member that has done one of these baffle installs on this model recently can shed some light on this.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, Jake. Would you have been able to get the old baffles out without taking out the tub?

Regards

Yes, i was able to install the new baffles without taking out the tub, I remember there was a hole i got access to from the outer tub assembly, i can't remember if I removed a rubber fill hose that connected to the outer tub, I think it was. You can open the top panel of your washer and check if you want, there are 3 screws in the back top that you just remove.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Many thanks, Jake. I'll give it a shot.

Sounds good AJ.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thanks!

Jake and ajstan99,
    Thanks for this thread. Indeed, replacing the baffles is much easier than expected. Just:
    1. Remove the top cover.
    2. Disconnect the Vent Hose from the top of the outer tub assembly.
    3. Rotate the inner basket until the baffle lines up below the Vent Hose openning ... and there it will be, the screw to remove the baffle.

We just noticed one of our baffles was loose this weekend. We were preparing to call Sears to get someone out to look at it. Fearing the cost of possibly having to remove the entire drum assembly, I searched the internet today and came across this thread. Exactly the information we needed. We spent about $40 on parts, and saved probably $100 - $200 on a service call!

So, I'm really posting here for no other reason than to say thanks and verify for other potential future readers just how easy it is to replace those baffles.

Quote Originally Posted by Extracted View Post
    Jake and ajstan99,
    Thanks for this thread. Indeed, replacing the baffles is much easier than expected. Just:
    1. Remove the top cover.
    2. Disconnect the Vent Hose from the top of the outer tub assembly.
    3. Rotate the inner basket until the baffle lines up below the Vent Hose openning ... and there it will be, the screw to remove the baffle.

We just noticed one of our baffles was loose this weekend. We were preparing to call Sears to get someone out to look at it. Fearing the cost of possibly having to remove the entire drum assembly, I searched the internet today and came across this thread. Exactly the information we needed. We spent about $40 on parts, and saved probably $100 - $200 on a service call!

So, I'm really posting here for no other reason than to say thanks and verify for other potential future readers just how easy it is to replace those baffles.
    Excellent job, glad you got it fixed!

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts