Thread: Frigidaire Model R134a

Exclamation Frigidaire Model R134a

Line and Neutral read 115VAC to Ground. GFI pops instantly. Obviously something grounded somewhere; however, I've disconnected all I can see to include the compressor. I still read a short to ground.

The frig was recently moved and was laid on it's side! (Found out after-the-fact). It ran for a bit when first plugged to power. Don't know when it tripped...

With compressor disconnected, I can now get lights but no fan. The Line and Nuetral still read short to ground (115VAC). Any clue where I can look would help...

Thanks
    Tom

Hi Tom,

When you have the compressor hooked up, does it instantly kick the GFI off?

Sounds like your compressor is grounding ok, use your ohm meter to test for continuity between each of the 3 compressor terminals to ground, with your refrigerator unplugged, if any 1 of those 3 terminals read continuity to ground, you have a bad compressor.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Lightbulb

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the heads-up.
    The GFI trips without the compressor plugged. I removed the 3-connector and the ice maker connector. Still trips (instantly) the GFI. Sounds to me like an internal short somewhere "inside" the cavity? Perhaps one of the leads "smoked" internally (although I smelled ans smell nothing)...

I'm reading the ladder diagram and not much is left but the Timer motor and coil heater.
    Compressor reads OK. No ground. Fan is OK. I read ~1.6 ohms on both line feeds on the back cavity; input power disconnected at the cavity plug. Tells me the "Timer" or "Coil heater"? (Ice not in circuit)

How does one get to the coil heater (Defrost)? and
    What is the "Cold Cont."?

keepin' at it...
    Tom

PS: Long winded...but I'm hoping the extra coments helps someone else out there too

Try plugging your refrigerator in a non-GFI electrical outlet, I have seen some GFI's go bad and do this, if it doesn't kick the breaker on a regular circuit, then its your GFI thats the problem.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Refer Grounded

Jake...
    SUCCESS !!

I found the ground through the clip that attaches the power cord to the back of the frig. It's always something simple...

In this case, I removed the clip from the fridge; but I left it surrounding the power cord. The fridge ground wire was crushed to a very small cut in the neutral line by the metal clip. It was detectable only on clamping the clip.

Once I removed the ONLY item left "that could have changed", by separating the line leads...WhaaLa. (I figured the movers had pulled on the cord too hard...)

All your comments were on-target and your superb support is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
    Tom

PS: I learned a bunch about the fridge circuitry! (Nice design...)

Good job finding that Tom, glad its all back to normal.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Unhappy New "Old" Tripping

Hey Jeff,

Perhaps I spoke too soon. It appears the "trip" is back. My Model# FRS26ZSHB3 runs for about 10 minutes and then trips the GFI.
    I disconnected the ice maker to illiminate a potential. Still trips after about 10 minutes; although the ice maker worked fine during the 10 minutes. (It made ice.)
    I also checked the Heater. When the timer is set for Defrost, the GFI trips immediately. (When I pulled the brown wire to the heater, with Timer set for Defrost, no trip.)
    I read Open ohms to ground on all (3) compressor terminals. Across the terminals ( 3 pairs) is about 3-6 ohms (2 are 3 ohms, 1 is 6 ohms (series Start and Run coil?).
    Would a new P.T.C. starter do the trick, since I think the "overload" is internal to that unit and seems to be common between the Compressor and the Defrost Heater?
    I'll order a new PTC Starter, with Overload, if you think that would help.
    (The compressor seems hot after 10 minutes (trip) and the mullion is warm after the trip. Could this be normal?)

Tom

wow, this is very strange. I wouldn't know what to tell you unless I came out myself to test everything.

I would suggest contacting Frigidaire to have a tech. come and see whats going on Tom.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts