Social Buttons
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] GE side by side fridge side not cold

Post [FIXED] GE side by side fridge side not cold

My GE side by side fridge is not up to par on the fridge side. The freezer seems good but a few weeks ago I noticed some water below in the front of fridge on floor and now the fridge side is not cold enough. I turned the dial up to 9 and it still seems warm. Any thoughts?

Post imported post

Hi,

Model#?

Evaporator fan in the freezer working? Any frost on the freezer back wall?

Some common trouble makers.... http://www.applianceaid.com/frig_notcold.html

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Post imported post

Found some frost on back wall and I can hear the fan and feel air at vent control in fridge side. I wonder if I let it defrost long enough. Or is it possible the defrost unit is malfunctioning.

Post imported post

**I wonder if I let it defrost long enough. Or is it possible the defrost unit is malfunctioning**

One way to tell...access the cooling coils ( evaporator ) in the freezer and let us know what you see....

Pic from Appliance411

Pic from ApplianceAid

jeff.
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid

Post imported post

I took cover off as recommended and you were right Jeff1. Thanks

Post imported post

jeffricha wrote:
    you were right Jeff1
    Was the evaporator coil totally frosted up or just partially frosted like in the photo above?

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Post imported post

It did have quite a bit of ice. The thermostat was faulty and replaced.

Post imported post

jeffricha wrote:
    It did have quite a bit of ice.
    Clear "ice" or white snow-like "frost"? It is an important distinction when dealing with refrigerator problems.

Was the build-up uniform across the whole evaporator coil or just on part of it like the picture shown above? If just part of it, you may have other problems as well.

The thermostat was faulty and replaced.
    The defrost termination thermostat I assume??

Glad to hear you found the defective part. Hopefully it was the only problem.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    =D~~~~~~

Post imported post

Glad I found this board.

I have a GE with similar problems. I first noticed that the fridge was not cooling as well as it should (freezer seemed fine)...put a thermometer on the middle shelf and it registered at 55 degrees - not good.

I vacuumed out underneath the fridge of some (but not much) dust and cleared ice out of the upper and lover pass-throughs (most of it was in the lower, which was completely blocked). I also removed the back cover of the freezer and found snow-like frost (no ice) on the bottom 1/2 of thecoils (looked just like the photo above). There was ice 'pooled' up in the bottom of the freezer, but the drain hole was not plugged. There was also a pool of water in the bottom of the fridge.

The fan at the top of the freezer is blowing...but I haven't heard the fridge make any other noises the last couple of days....just the quiet hmmm from that. Ido not think I hear a compressor turn on and off.

I used a hair-dryer to takethe snow off and put it all back together...this was yesterday. Today (18 hours later) the fridge is down to 40.

A couple of questions: 1. I see two hanging wires (one white, one grey)with male terminals coming from up top and resting on the top of the cooling coils behind the back panel. They do not seem to go anywhere.- what are there and could they be part of the problem?

2. Should I give it another day to see how all works out?

3. Is there something else I should try?

I am fairly good with little 'fix-it' projects, including wiring,and would prefer saving $$ on a repair man - UNLESS this is surely one for the pros.

Thanks,

Kevin

Post imported post

idloveaguinness wrote:
    I see two hanging wires (one white, one grey)with male terminals coming from up top and resting on the top of the cooling coils behind the back panel. They do not seem to go anywhere.- what are there and could they be part of the problem?
    Since you haven't told us which model of GE refrigerator you have (they're not all the same), it is impossible to say without being there ourselves to check it out. But you'd likely have to check the wiring diagram right on the fridge itself to determine what those wires are for.

JFYI. You can read about where to locate the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Search

Today the fridge is down to 40... Should I give it another day to see how all works out?
    If it seems to be working, I don't see why not.

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    =D~~~~~~

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast