Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] GE SS Wind Noise

Default [FIXED] GE SS Wind Noise

Hello,
    We have a PSI23NGPB WW that emits a subtle sound similar to howling wind. It is about two years old and just started a few days ago. It does not seem to be consistant. In that it does it on some days and not others. The frige itself continues to work flawlessly. Any ideas what mey be going on?

Don't know myself, hopefully another tech. or member that knows this sounds can assist you.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

I'm actually having this same issue. Sounds like the fan above the lamp in the freezer is turning on/off constantly. Have you found any more information on this?

I am having the exact same problem with my two year old GE side-by-side Model GSS25WGPDWW. The howling sound is intermittent. Oddly enough, I can make it go away for a while by leaving the freezer door open for about five minutes. It is almost as if frost is building up on the fan blades. Does this fan have two speeds? Do I need to replace or tighten the fan, or is this problem being caused by something else, like defrost mode?

Jake,
    Has anything ever been determined about the GE SS Wind Noise?

I find the noise is slightly louder with the freezer door open. The next time I it happens, I'll leave the door open. It actually went away after we cleaned the door seals on both doors but, came back a few days later.

It sounds as if it is actually coming from the back of the unit.

Default Mine howls all night long!

You are not alone, there are many posts on various forums reporting the same noises from GE side-by-sides.

Mine produces an incrediby annoying howl for hours at a time. It sounds like it is caused by airflow, almost like blowing into a bottle (only much louder).

Some have suggested that replacing the evaporator motor, located in the freezer at the bottom, behind the panel. This would seem to make sense, and the original post remined me that I did not notice the noise being present when the unit was new (2-3 years). If it were airflow across some sort of part in the evaporator area, I would expect it to make the noice any time the fan is blowing.

I do recall awaking to a slightly ajar freezer door one morning. This required me to empty the freezer and dry everything out. To be sure I had all of the water cleaned up, I went ahead and removed the ice maker, and the panels in the back of the freezer. I recall the noise was being made even with the panel removed, and therefore no significant air movement at all.

I think the fan motor may actually be the cause. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but these fans operate at variable speeds, which would explain the intermittent nature of the noise. The only thing I can imagine is wind noise caused by some sort of damper.

I hate to spend $60 on a new fan motor in vain, but the noise is so loud and annoying its either a going to fix it, or it I am going to take a sledge hammer to it!

For the original poster - take care of it now, because it gets much worse (louder and longer) over time!
    Last edited by firemonkey; February 9th, 2007 at 04:04 PM.

I just spoke to a GE serviceman, while at a little league game. He knew exactly the noise i was talking about, and says it is caused by the control board. There were several models affected by this, and GE is covering the board replacement for a few of them.

The control board regulates the fan speed, and the noise is caused by the board setting the fan speed (incorrectly) to just the right pitch.

If your model is not covered, the board is an easy swap, and is accessed from the rear; you dont even have to empty the freezer.

Thanks for the update. I'll contact the dealer in the morning to see what we can work out. I'll post the results.

Ok, thanks guys for all your input.

Here is the main control board for these models you can order:
    Part#WR55X10552

Jake
    Last edited by Jake; September 12th, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast