Social Buttons

Thread: Kenmore SxS Fridge - Bad relay or compressor?

Default Kenmore SxS Fridge - Bad relay or compressor?

Model Number: 106.54689300
    Brand: Sears Kenmore

Yesterday our Kenmore SxS Fridge by Whirlpool (106.54689300) suddenly warmed up to room temperature. After reading this site (which I always check first whenever I have an appliance problem), I took off the lower back cover and discovered the compressor is fairly hot, with the little cooling fan back there running constantly. The fridge clicks periodically and the compressor cycles on for a few seconds periodically (maybe every few minutes). The compressor coils are fairly clean (I cleaned them a couple weeks ago).

I tried unplugging, letting cool, and plugging back in with same problem - compressor cycling on now and then, getting hot, and clicking sound. Cooling fan still running back there, as is the internal fridge fan. Still not cooling at all - I've stuck some dry ice in there and turned off the fridge for now.

It sounds like a bad compressor relay - but if so would the compressor come on periodically fora few seconds, and would itget hot???

If it is the relay 2319792, do I need a new capacitor 2169373 too???

BTW, I was told by Sears service that if the relay is part of the compressor, it would be covered under the compressor warranty, but they said their system shows parts only on the compressor after 1 year. However, my user guide clearly shows parts and labor, so they said show it to the technician.

Thanks for any help!

John

jbaker7 wrote:
    It sounds like a bad compressor relay - but if so would the compressor come on periodically fora few seconds, and would itget hot?
    It could try to come on but fail to actually start running, eventually cutting out on the overload protector. Like running your car engine on the starter rather than it actually getting started. That could take a few seconds.

If allowed to continue in that fashion, the compressor would get hotter then normal. In such a case it should be disconnected from power or damage to the compressor can be done ($$$+).

Capacitors don't fail vary often. But replacing the overload protector at the same time would usually be prudent. I also might recommend going to the 'service replacement' relay and overload (see the link below) rather than the original.

LINK > Kenmore 106.54689300 Relay/Overload Service Replacement

JMO

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

jbaker7 wrote:
    they said their system shows parts only on the compressor after 1 year. However, my user guide clearly shows parts and labor, so they said show it to the technician.
    All the model 106 made by whirlpool have a 5 yr. part and labor warranty on the sealed system which includes the compressor, but not the relay.

Only 1 yr. part and labor on the relay.

Dan, that link comes up as a blank page on my internet explorer 6 browser.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

I found the service compressor relay/overload 4387835. Will that fit on the production compressor and use the production capacitor? It is a little cheaper than the production compressor relay 2319792. Why do you recommend that one?

John

jbaker7 wrote:
    Why do you recommend that one?
    For some reason the production relays don't seen to stand up very well. Hopefully the service replacement would be better.

Dan O.
    Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site
    =D~~~~~~

Jake wrote:
    Dan, that link comes up as a blank page on my internet explorer 6 browser.
    It's working for me now in both Firefox and IE 6. Maybe the web site was just down? Can you try it again?

Dan O.

I found a local parts place with the service compressor relay/overload kit you linked to (the link is now back up again). I didn't see a way to use it with my original capacitor and they didn't have the service capacitor in stock, so ended up ordering the original production relay/overload. Hopefully that will do it.

Thanks for the tips!

John

Replaced the overload/compressor relay today 2319792, so far works great. Empty freezer dropped from ~60F to 32F within about 20 minutes. Fridge side (full of 60F food) is cooling more slowly.

Since I had the cardboard off the back bottom at first to check the compressor, the fan in the back wasn't able to do it's job cooling the condenser coils and the freon line was hot all the way up into the fridge. Once there was a little airflow it cooled right down and all seems well.

This may be elsewhere on the site, but in case someone searching here has a fan problem:

Once my condenser cooling fan in the bottom back failed and the fridge/freezer wasn't cooling enough; the compressor was running and was rather hot. The fridge was also hot on the front between the 2 SxS doors - apparently this model runs the condenser line through there to prevent condensation.

All you need to do on this model while waiting for the new fan motor is add a little fan blowing into the right bottom of the front of the fridge to keep those coils cool. The airflow goes in the front right bottom, through the coils, through the fan in the back over to the left side, over the drip tray and out the front left bottom. It doesn't take a whole lot of airflow to make a huge performance difference.

John