Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dryer won't start. Makes electrical buzzing noise - model 11096573220 (or 96573220)

Default Dryer won't start. Makes electrical buzzing noise - model 11096573220 (or 96573220)

We have a Kenmore 70 series model 11096573220 (or 96573220) Dryer that won't start.

It makes electrical buzzing noise when you press the start button. Kind of the noise that a locked up motor makes when trying to start. (makes it seem like the motor huh?)

The timer still ticks. the drum is harder to 'spin' by hand a little bit.

It only makes this noise when you press the start button.

Dryer is about 12 years old.

any guess on what this might be?

Could this be the Thermo Fuse? One would think that if it's the fuse that it wouldn't buzz at all but would be completely dead.

Anyone?

Thanks for your help.

It does sound like your motor bearing is bad. I would make sure nothing is stuck in your blower wheel first.

Here is a couple of help links:
    http://www.applianceaid.com/wp-motors.html
    http://www.applianceaid.com/wpdryer_how-to.html
    http://www.applianceaid.com/slidewpdry.html

Here is a new motor for your model, in case you need to order it:
    Part#279827(click photo for pricing/ordering information):

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

One of the things that 'irks' me about these fix it sites is that after the person finds the solution to their problem, they rarely come back online and post the solution so to help others. So here's what I did:

Well I got home last night and started messing with it.

First I thought it might not be getting both hot legs of power.
    1.) Checked the outlet, got 240v and 120v on each leg to ground. So power was ok.
    2.) checked the dryer plug to make sure the screws hadn't vibrated out, they were ok.

3.) took the back cover off to see if the thermal switch/fuse might be the problem, which I didn't think it would be because it turned on just to make the noise. Thermal fuse passed the ohm meter test.

4.) talk about lint. the back of it was covered in a layer of it. vaccumed that all up.

5.) popped the lid off to see if the belt was jammed up. belt ok and no damange.

6.) flipped it on it's front to check access underneath. no such luck. bottom was sheet metal instead of open. (last dryer I had was open I think).

7.) removed back motor cover and lint guard (or whatever it's called). More lint. vaccumed up again.

8.) plugged back in and tested with rear cover off and got same motor buzzing sound. unplugged again (for safety reasons)

9). Motor fan would not turn by hand. either. Looks like I've got a locked up motor. Looked to see if anything was blocking motor turning but couldn't find anything.

10). Set unit back 'up-right' and when I did a small paperclick (that I had in my jean pocket the other day) fell out of the housing the motor fan was in. Hmmmm... could this be the cause of the problem?

11.) plugged back in and turned on. Dryer motor works now. Somehow that paperclip had managed to work its way into a spot tight enough to stop the motor from turning. go figure.

12.) unplugged, re-assembled back, hooked back up to hose, turned on and running hot and working as normal.

Saved $89 on new motor that I was going to purchase today or a service call.

It's the "Irony" of the situation. We were having an FOD inspection at work the other day. FOD is "Forgein Object Debris/Damage". It's when any small object or debris gets caught in another part and causes damage. The most common thing the public would be aware of with something like this is when a jet engine sucks in a small object and it causes damage to the engine.

anyway, i picked up the paperclip off the floor and put it in my pocket as it would be considered FOD by the inspectors. Little did I know that it would get lodged in my dryer and cause 'Forgein object damage' there too.

At least I got it working and we can wash/dry clothes again now

BTW... Jake, thanks for your reply and suggestion also. glad I didn't need the motor.

-Mike

ACK! I spoke too soon. The wife just called and said it's doing the same thing again.

sounds like I've got a motor that's catching on something!

Thats good detailed information Mike.

Its odd that when that paper clip came out that it worked, and now it doesn't again, check for another object in the motor.

Yes, I wish there was a incentive to have people come back to post what the final outcome was with their appliances.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Thats good detailed information Mike.

Its odd that when that paper clip came out that it worked, and now it doesn't again, check for another object in the motor.

Yes, I wish there was a incentive to have people come back to post what the final outcome was with their appliances.

Jake

Well the wife called the repair guy as she "had" to dry clothes.

He found a quarter in it. It worked fine afterwards & he left.

She went to dry clothes in it a few hours later and it's exibiting the same symptons again. So I'm betting that we have an intermedent (sp?) motor problem. (which might have been caused by the forgein objects).

I tried it again this morning and it didn't work still...

We paid the appliance tech so he's coming back out today to look at it again. I'm betting that we'll just replace the motor if it keeps doing it as it's just too inconvienent not to be able to dry clothes when you need to. (like when you need it to wear something for the next day!).

I know what you mean.

Thats extremely rare for 2 objects to be logged in your motor assembly.

Yes, it sounds like your motor will have to be replaced.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I know what you mean.

Thats extremely rare for 2 objects to be logged in your motor assembly.

Yes, it sounds like your motor will have to be replaced.

Jake

Well took the motor out and you can't even turn it by hand. So looks like the motor is locking up. Maybe the other objects were the "final straw" on the worn out windings....

Since it's "intermidate" (sp?) it's most likely a ball bearing getting stuck or maybe something stuck in the motor, or 12 years worth of lint caught in the windings.

New motor $89 bucks
    Having nice warm dry clothes & a happy wife - priceless.

Glad that new motor took care of it.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default My Whirlpool Dryer would only buzz and not start.

I am a 71 year old great grandmother. My Whirlpool Dryer only buzzed. I went on the computer and you said to pop the top and check the belt. First I unplugged the dryer. The belt was fine. So I tipped the dryer on it's front and removed 12 screws. Then I took out the 4 screws for the blower compartment. I lifted it up and discovered a washcloth stopping the fan from turning. I removed some lint and small stones too. I put the cover back with the 4 screws. Put the back panel on with 12 screws. Turned my dryer back up straight. Put the filter back with 2 screws. Plugged it in and it worked just like new. A washcloth must have fallen in when I cleaned the filter. I just love the do it yourself jobs. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast