Social Buttons
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice Maker Issues - KitchenAid Superba KSCS25I

Default Ice Maker Issues - KitchenAid Superba KSCS25I

Hey Folks,

Hoping somebody is able to help me out with this.

Here's the details:

-Side by side KitchenAid Superba ~2 years old, model KSCS25I
    -No change in conditions (water filter, close water line, etc.)
    -No ice production at all
    -Ice and water dispensers works fine

What I've done (checked other threads on similar issues on this forum):
    -Checked the LEDs patterns (look ok I think - blink with flapper out, solid with flapper in)
    -Removed the ice maker and squirted lots of hot water up into the black spout with a turkey baster. No clogs that I could see...(how would one actually know?)

Still no luck, no water being sent to the ice tray.

Was thinking of trying this test: Fill the ice tray with water using the turkey baster and wait to make sure the ice cubes get pushed out to the bucket.. at least then I'll know the motor works. How long would I have to wait before this happens? Or will it not happen at all because the unit won't know there is water in the tray?

Any Thoughts? Where can I go from here? Really appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Rich

-Removed the ice maker and squirted lots of hot water up into the black spout with a turkey baster. No clogs that I could see...(how would one actually know?)
    You can run something up in there, like a plastic little tubing or wire, etc.

That test would be good, it will take about 60-90 minutes for it to dump that ice.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hey Jake,

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

That test would be good, it will take about 60-90 minutes for it to dump that ice.

Jake
    Ok, I'll give it a try and let you know how I make out.

Thanks!
    Richard

Sounds good Richard.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Often times if the water fill tub (black spout) is plugged up if find that it is frozen shut right at the end above the icemaker.

I just try to flex the black end to see if it frozen shut.

A little trick I do to see if the water line is clear and check to see if the water valve for the icemaker works is switch the plugs around on the water valve. You can then trip the water in the door lever like your going to fill a glass of water and see if water runs though the tube to the icemaker.

They are different size plugs on the water valve so you eather have to hold the plug there by hand and have someone help you trip the water in the door or use a couple jumpers. I often end up using my fluke test leads as jumpers to test this.

Just a little tech tip and maybe something above what the home owner should try, but it's how I often test to make sure nothing is plugged and that the water valve is working too.

You can also jump things out from the one PC board on the side of the freezer wall to also get it to fill too, but I won't get into that here.

I would say 95% of the time the icemaker is the trouble.
    Sometimes the control board on the side and every now and then a water valve.

Hey Guys,

Ok so I carefully filled the ice cube tray locations with water, unplugged and replugged the power on the fridge ... and waited.

I had solid ice cubes 2 hours later.. but they were in the tray. It's been a couple of days now - they are sill there, but they have not been ejected into the bin. I haven't heard the rake rotate at all.

I *think* that in the last couple of days, the ice cubes have gotten a bit smaller. To me, this might indicated that the ice maker heater has repeatedly been engaged, but the ice maker motor has not. Each successive heating would melt the cubes a bit more. Extrapoplating from that - it would suggest the ice maker thermostat is working, otherwise it wouldn't know when to send the harvest signal. Not sure how this is related to the signal to 'refill' from the input valve.

So basically, seems to me there are two things here that aren't happening:
    - Water automatically sent to ice tray (recall I've checked for blockages and liquid water dispenser is working)
    - Harvest rake doesn't seem to be working (as far as I've been able to observe)

Thoughts? Do my conclusions seem right? Am I looking at a new control board/motor/entire ice maker?

I have some experience with electronics (I have a DMM) so I'd be completely comfortably with checking voltages, jumping pins on the wiring harness... just need specific steps....

Again guys, really appreciate the help here.

Cheers,

Rich

Default Update - still no ice

EDIT - Update on my investigation above:

The ice cubes *HAVE* shrunk. In fact, over the course of a week they have completed disapeared. They were never ejected into the bin, but rather got bit smaller with each successive heating cycle in the tray. I actually checked a couple of times and the small pools were liquified and the tray was warm.

Same conclusions though, seems to me there are two things here that aren't happening:
    - Water automatically sent to ice tray (recall I've checked for blockages and liquid water dispenser is working)
    - Harvest rake doesn't seem to be working (as far as I've been able to observe)

Really appreciate any ideas you may have,

Thank you,

Rich

Its really hard to say what could be going on, it seems something more technically involved is the issue, I would recommend having an appliance repair company come out now.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Outside Air getting into ice bin and melting ice

I have a side by side Kitchen Aid refrigerator with an in door ice maker. Outside air seems to be getting into the freezer through the ice spout and melting some of the ice and making it leak and frosting the inside of the ice holder. Is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast