Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GE refrigerator hot to touch where two doors meet

Default GE refrigerator hot to touch where two doors meet

Model Number: GSS25QGTABB
    Brand: GE

we have a Ge refrigerator side by side..last night we noticed it was hot to the touch on the panel where the two doors meet.. we checked the bottom where i clean out dust gave it a dust..it really did not need it..

we have called a repair man as we are afraid it will cause a fire

help with other ideas the frig is 17 years old

vic

Hi,

Take off the back access panel where the compressor is, you will see a condenser fan, make sure thats turning and blowing lots of air when the compressor is on, if its not then that is whats causing it to get very hot between the front doors.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Thanks for the Info

Looking around on web to find out why the area around the doors and between the doors on my side-by-side refrigerator was 92 degrees. This info about the condenser fan helped alot. I have a Frigidaire and it will be 5 years old in February of next year. It still has a warranty on it. I made a service request tonight through HHGregg and the repairman couldn't come out till next Wednesday, November 1st. I don't know if our refrigerator would have lasted that long. It probably would have melted or caught on fire.

I took the back panel off and the fan wasn't running. It was extremely dirty. I cleaned the fan and the coils. For some unknown reason the fan kept rubbing the bracket it was attached to. It took me a while to find a position for it so it would move freely. I finally got it and it is purring like a kitten.

Good job fixing it Eaton.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thumbs up Thanks Much!

Just a note to say thanks to Vic and Eaton for the posts, but especially to Jake for the remedy.

I ran into the same problem as described by Vic. I concluded that the fan blades bent after they struck my vac hose while i was cleaning the coils a week ago. I know, I know, it's a good idea to always unplug the fridge before cleaning the coils. I sure learned my lesson!

Anyway, I noticed that the wall between the door was almost too hot to touch. To make things worse, I was leaving on a business trip for over a week, leaving my wife and two pre-schoolers home alone. I was concerned about a fire hazard.

I got online, put in a few search words, and hit on this blog. I pulled out the fridge, removed the back access cover, and found the fan frozen due to the blades being bent and stuck on the frame. A little tweaking and the fan worked like new. Very easy. You guys saved me a lot of money and worry. Can't thank you enough!

Marc
    WA

Good job finding and fixing that condenser fan blade Marc.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

This morning we got up and our refrigerator had this same problem. I pulled it out, unplugged it, vacuumed it out, and thought it was fixed...but it wasn't. I went back to the fridge about a half hour later and it was even hotter than before. I came online, typed in "refrigerator hot to touch" and found this forum and these directions. Pulled the fridge out, opened up the back, and the little fan was just sitting there. It wasn't turning at all. I kind of poked at it with the pliers (the only thing I could find to take the bolts off the back), it started running, and hasn't stopped yet.

I just wanted to say thanks, because I was getting concerned. I have to leave for work in a bit, leaving my animals in the house all day. Now I can leave with confidence. Thanks again to you all.

We are in the midst of remodeling our house, so I have a feeling I will be back at this forum more often in the next few months.

Thanks again.

Good job Simon. If that condenser fan blade stops running again, its likely you will need a new condenser fan motor.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Ok, so I got home and checked the fan, and it isn't running. Is it supposed to run all the time?

Oh, and the fridge isn't a GE Hotpoint, I just noticed that this forum is for that...I searched for refrigerator hot to touch and this is the thread that came up...I hope that doesn't matter much.

Yes, the condenser fan should run all the time your compressor is running.

Its ok if its not a GE/Hotpoint, Most all condenser fan motors/blades do the same function.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast