Thread: Maytag Neptune Washer MAH5500B squeeking

Default Maytag Neptune Washer MAH5500B squeeking

We just bought a second-hand Maytag Neptune Washer MAH5500B. It's about 3 yrs. old and we paid $200. Seemed like a good deal until a friend told me she had just been researching washers and kept seeing Maytag frontloader problems on the web. So, I googled it and found tons of complaints on bunches of sites from very, very disatisfied customers. I was reading for about 5 hours all together.

Do you think it's a good idea to get rid of it? It seems like it may be a ticking time bomb of repairs based on many, many peoples' experience. And, ever since we took it home, there is a high pitched type of sound maybe like an animal - it's hard to describe but it starts right after the washer kicks on and then I think it stops after a little bit. What could this be?

Yes, they have had multiple issues with this model.

The squeaking sound is your belt, you will need a new belt, but this could only be the start to a long road of upcoming needed repairs for this washer. Can you get your $200 back?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Yes.

Thanks for your response!

Yes. They actually said they would take it back.

Such a good deal but could be upcoming expensive problems. Belt doesn't seem that serious but is it an indication of more to come? Do you think it would have problems by now? She said that she hasn't had any problems. On another note, though, I'm pretty sure she probably used the amount of soap (lots) for a regular wash which means could be cause of something wearing out, right? I read that.

It's such a gamble. Could be a jack pot but could be a lemon. Have you known any machines that have not had problems? Seems unlikely since it's with the engineering but.....

Yes, its very hard to tell, but are you willing to take the chance? If you are I would put a service contact on it and leave it on for the life of your washer.

I know Sears has a special program where they charge your credit card on the phone for about $180 then they will send a tech. and fix it for no charge, even if you needed all kinds of parts, they wouldn't charge you anything else! Its called a Service Smart Contract.

And if its over $500 to repair, they will give you a $500 in store credit towards a new washer. You can call them at 1-800-4-MYHOME to get this.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the information! I called Sears and found out that a 5 yr. service contract on the 3 or so year old washer would be $446.21 all parts, labor, etc. paid. I forgot to ask about a lifetime contract. I also got a quote from a different Sears department that said I could get a Service Smart Contract for $279/yr., however, she could not tell me what the renewal price would be. I think we are going to get rid of it. I may be losing a gem, but maybe better to be safe than sorry.

Do you have a recommendation for a reliable, long-lasting washer? Would like energy efficient one around $500 if possible (is it?). Seems like they are all breaking after 8 or less years now.

The Whirlpool we have is at least 20 years old. It just leaves a lot of lint and sometimes we find orange stains (rust) on our clothes. Do you know how to fix these two things?

Most front-loaders are about $600-$1200 but you get rebates from your local utility company and a tax credit from your state. So with the rebates you save about $200 off the regular price.

Good front-loaders are Whirlpool, Kenmore, Frigidaire, GE.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Orange stains (rust?) and lint

Thanks Jake!

Do you know what may be causing the orange stains (rust?) and lint on our clothes from the old Whirlpool? Should I start a new post?

Thanks!

No, sorry I don't unless your area has alot of iron in the water, if so then you can try this product in this thread:
    http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/showthread.php?t=1066

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts