Thread: Samsung-Malfunction after Power Outage

Default Samsung-Malfunction after Power Outage

After a 10 minute power outage, my Samsung Side-by-Side starting experiencing some temperature issues.

The electronic temperature display on the front displays the preset temperatures -6 Freezer, 36 Refrigerator. Testing the interior with temperature probes shows much warmer, 20 Freezer, 57 Refrigerator.

I unplug/replug for 10 minutes and now temperature display shows the accurate warmer temperatures. Push a few buttons on the front and things start to cool down again, albeit slowly, but back to normal by the next morning. I got some advice to give it a stress test by opening the doors and letting things warm up, and they do, however the temperature controls on the door, never show as "warm" as they do on the temp probes inside. Door shows +6 Freezer /44 Refrigerator. Interior temperatures are 25/54. Later the display shows unit has cooled down to my presets (-6/36), but interior probes still show higher temperatures.
    It acts like it reaches the temperature and then says OK, everything is good, no more cooling required. Unplugging and replugging seems to work temporarily, but not sure if something is damaged and should be checked out.

Any recommendations on what to have checked out?
    Can a power surge/spike after an outage fry something in the electronics that should be looked at to avoid future problems?

Hi,

Yes, a power surge or spike could have caused a electrical issue on your control board causing this to happen.

Whats the model# of your refrigerator? its located either on the right side wall or ceiling of your refrigerator section.

How old is it?

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Default Samsung Model #

The model # is RS253BABB. I've had it for almost two years.

I've been monitoring the temperatures since late yesterday and they have varied from -17.9 to +12.0 (set at -8) in the Freezer compartment and +30.6 to +39.3 (set at +34) in the Refrigerator compartment. Once the temperature reached the presets they didn't change to reflect the varying temperatures in the compartments, so it looks like I still have a problem somewhere.

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to reply.

Nat

Thanks,

I have never worked on the Samsung model refrigerators before, but it does sound like you have a control board problem, check your owners manual, you may have a 2-5 yr. extended warranty on that control board.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts