Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [FIXED] Kenmore washer/dryer combo problem

Default [FIXED] Kenmore washer/dryer combo problem

Hope this is the right forum,it might belong in the dryer forum.
    I am the not so proud owner of a Sears laundry center model #417.91702000 manufactured in 11/01. This past December the dryer developed problems with the drum making noises.Sears repair came and replaced the drum glide and lower basket seal.The repair tech said problem was caused by items left in clothes pockets such as coins,etc. I did note a coin inside repair area after he took it apart.
    Cost of the repair was $171.00,of which 45 dollars was parts,the rest labor.I thought this was a little high since the repair took less than an hour.
    After the repair tech left there was some improvement in the operation of dryer,but there was still a lot of play in the drum.You could reach inside it and rock it up and down slightly and the gap between drum and housing seemed excessively wide.We complained to Sears repair and the same tech came back on 2/01/05 and said the play in the drum and the gap were normal of all Sears combo units,he then left.
    As of now,the unit has gotten progressively worse to the point where it is almost unusuable.Clothes get stuck in the gap between the drum and housing and many items of clothing have been ruined.
    Is this problem common to all washer dryer combo units? In the past with seperate components I have owned anything that was inadvertently lift in pockets would just clang around in the drum and make noise so you would know they were in there and you could just stop the unit and take them out,they didn't get wedged in the gap and cause damage.
    Due to the high cost of the service call before I was considering ordering the parts myself and trying to make the repair.
    Is this a chronic problem or is some additional part needed for repair? Also I don't know what type of adhesive was used to attach glide and seal. I don't think Sears will stand behind their repair since almost 8 months have elapsed.
    Sorry about all the questions but I have one last one,was this unit made by Whirlpool?

This is a Frigidaire-built dryer sold thru Sears as a Kenmore.
    The symptoms that you are describing(clothing/items snagging on drum)are an indication of a problem with the front drum glide assembly. There are two separate pieces--an upper drum glide kit and a lower seal made out of a felt-type material. Typically when these are replaced--the dryer drum will be quite snug. If you are having the same problem as before--you may want to contact another servicer to get a another opinion of the glide/seal condition.

The earlier Frigidaire model dryers(such as yours)were known to have front drum glides wear-out in as few as three years. Later models have a new type of drum glide. Instead of three small strips of nylon/plastic--the entire lip of the dryer drum is now a "bearing". The front cover is now an all felt-type material. This effectively eliminated premature glide failures. This is just one of numerous changes in appliances of every make and model over the years.
    Some are good and more than a few are not.
    John

Yea, i have replaced lots of these felt/glide assemblies, He probably only replaced the top part, and not the bottom part, as the bottom part gets thin and wears almost as bad as the top felt.

You have a 90 day part and labor warranty, I would call back to have a tech check the bottom part, they would only charge you for the bottom felt, not labor, if he didnt replace it.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

The model number is 11060622990 which forum title indicates would be a Whirlpool. So I'm confused,is it a Whirlpool or a Frigidare?
    Also I'm pretty sure the bottom part was replaced as it is listed on the repair recipt as seal and in the parts schematic that came with the unit as Seal-basket lower.
    Was just wondering if the newer type glide and seals can be retrofitted to the older units.I wouldn't mind as much paying for another service call if I knew that the repair was going to hold up.If I decide to repair myself with the older style parts still don't know what type of adhesive to use.
    Maybe I would get a more favorable response from Sears if I complained to their customer service dept instead of the repair service. Half the stuff in my house is Sears brand,lawnmowers,refrigerator,pressure washer,air conditioners,washers and dryers in the past,tools.I've probably spent about 6000 dollars over the past ten years on their stuff and have had good luck with just about all of it,but this washer/dryer is a real dog.

I was checking at Home Depot and they have a washer/dryer combo unit for eight hundred some dollars but you can purchase a five year extended warranty for only 90 dollars,I forget what brand of unit it was though.Might have to go that route instead of dumping money into this three and a half year old unit if the repairs aren't going to hold up.

BTW,assatan and Jake,thanks for the responses so far,let me know what you think about my options from this post!

That's a funny mispelling of my user name!!

The original post showed a model Number: 417.91702000.
    This number is a Frigidaire.

By all means---get a service manager on the phone--he/she will *usually* be much more accomodating and be able to authorize any necessary corrective action(s).

John

Sorry about the misspelling aaastan,I was in a hurry and didn't double check.
    As far as the 1106062290 model number,I got that off the repair receipt.Maybe they had the model number of my previous dryer in their records,that was also a Sears model.
    The model number inside the dryer door and also on the repair parts list booklet is 417.91702000
    I'll try your suggestion and ask for the service manager.Not looking for any handouts,I just feel the amount I spent for the repair originally should have been enough to correct the problem for more than a couple of months!
    Thanx again.

b green

To resolve the problem with your dryer--if it involves the same front glide and seal assembly hardly qualifies as a handout.

I have spoken at length with my regional warranty service managers. All agree that it hurts a manufacturer's reputation and bottom line FAR WORSE by not addressing any lingering--and certainly legitimate--complaints after warranty(or a repair that is also covered by warranty) service has been performed. It is in their best interests to keep you a happy and satisfied customer.

Good luck, John
    Last edited by aaastan; July 28th, 2005 at 12:17 AM.

I took the dryer apart today and found that the middle glide on the top of the door lip was slightly detached and a small part of it was glued on at an angle.
    When the tech made the original repair he had to take door assembly back off and reglue the glide because it had shifted,I guess he hadn't waited long enough for the adhesive to set up. It took him several times to get it right,I guess he never really did.Apparantly the last time he put it on it shifted again,I guess he never really did get it right from the getgo.
    Guess that would explain uneven gap and excessive noise that I complained about 2 months after the repair was made.The same tech came back and set that nothing was wrong!
    This should give me a little ammo when I speak with the regional manager,although I don't know if they'll make an issue out of me taking it apart!
    Your thoughts please from anyone about what kind of reponse I might get from Sears manager,such as the fact I took it apart may have caused any problems.
    Was going to request from them that they check it and make the repair at no cost,also that a different tech be sent this time.
    Wish me luck.

Since it was not repaired right from the start, Sears will do it right, don't worry about you taking it apart.

The Sears manager will make sure they send another tech. out to fix it right.

If for some reason the manager does not do what you request, or they just can't seem to fix it right with another tech., just call 1-800-4MYHOME and ask for Customer Relations.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Called Customer Relations,they wouldn't make good on the repair.Person I spoke with was sympathetic,said she had to get the Ok from her supervisor who subsequently turned it down.
    The funny part is when I first called and gave them my name and phone # etc.,they said "Oh,we see that you are a "Premier" customer,how may we help you today." I advised them on how many thousands of dollars I had spent over the years on Sears appliances and products but apparently that doesn't mean anything to them.
    After they refused to make good on the repair I advised the customer relations rep that in the future I would be taking my buisness elsewhere and wouldn't be buying anything from Sears unless I had no other options.She candidly said that she didn't blame me.
    To top things off I then ordered the parts I needed to make the repair from Sears parts.I asked the order taker on the phone if high temperature adhesive was included in the parts kit and she replied no but that it could be ordered separately.So I ordered a tube which cost an additonal eighteen dollars.
    You can guess what happened,when the parts order arrived there was a tube of adhesive included in the glide seal parts bag.That was the final insult from Sears,ordering an eighteen dollar tube of adhesive that I didn't need anyway.
    So I made the repair myself about a week ago and gave the seal and adhesive plenty of time to dry,didn't just slap it back together right away like the service tech did.Seems to be working ok so far,time will tell how long it holds up,this seal and glide part seems pretty flimsy to begin with.
    I also ordered a repair manual for Frigidare etc. laundry centers that I saw on the repair clinic.com website. Figured when something else breaks if I can I'll try fixing it myself instead of paying Sears exorbitant repair prices.

Just thought I'd give you an update on how things turned out and wanted to thank you again for your suggestions on how to deal with Sears.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast