Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenmore Coldspot ice maker not dispensing ice

Default Kenmore Coldspot ice maker not dispensing ice

My side-by-side Coldspot fridge (Model# 106.59592990) has an ice and water dispenser on the left door. The water dispenser works fine, but the ice dispenser does not put out any ice. There is no motor sound whatsoever when the lever is pressed.

The ice maker itself still makes plenty of ice, so there is no problems there. Does anyone know what part might need replacing for this? Thanks in advance.

You would need to unsnap(use a flathead screwdriver in the 2 little slots underneath the bottom frame piece to unsnap it) your front dispenser frame#23 here:
    http://content.searspartsdirect.com/...3444-00008.png
    Then look at your support bracket#15 to see if the little plastic pins are not broken that hold your ice and water dispenser switches in place#14.
    If that looks ok, then you would need to use an ohm meter to test continuity in your ice dispenser switch.

Jake
    Appliance Repair School 1987-1988
    Star Appliance Tech. 2 yrs. 1988-1990
    Wards Appliance Tech. 11 yrs. 1990-2001
    Sears Appliance Tech. 4 yrs. 2001-Oct. 2005
    Jake's Appliance Repair Nov. 2005-present

Look-Up & Order Parts

Jake, thanks for the tip. I will try and look at this in the upcoming weekend and then post what I find out.

Sounds good.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

I apologize for taking so long to reply to this suggestion. I never got around to fixing the ice maker until recently and went back to this thread for suggestions. As it turns out, it was the plastic piece protruding from the bracket that holds the ice dispenser switch in place. It had snapped near the base. For the time being, I superglued it to the base and put the switch back into its proper position. This may be a temporary fix until the piece breaks again. At that point, I believe I will have to order a new bracket. Thanks for your help, Jake.

Ok, Sounds good.

Here is the bracket for your model, in case you need to order it in the future:
    Bracket, Control

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Thanks for your help Jake. I used a rubber band to hold mine in place. The small toothpick pieces were broken on mine. It caused the trigger piece to slide to far down to get hit when I pushed the lever. It is working until the new bracket comes in.

Sounds good jonate1971.

Jake

Look-Up & Order Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    You would need to unsnap(use a flathead screwdriver in the 2 little slots underneath the bottom frame piece to unsnap it) your front dispenser frame#23 here:
    Then look at your support bracket#15 to see if the little plastic pins are not broken that hold your ice and water dispenser switches in place#14.
    If that looks ok, then you would need to use an ohm meter to test continuity in your ice dispenser switch.

Jake

registered just to post a thank you.

my icemaker stopped dispensing a few days ago. I just got the itch to fix it right now. Found this thread on google.

mine had the two pins broken that go into the switch and that little S thing that looks like some form of spacer.

I removed the spacer and looked at that panel.. What a garbage design. Oh well the fridge HAS served me 12 years. I went and looked at the new panel and all the switching out I would have to do if I bought the part. my wife comes up to me (after looking for small enough screws or wondering if gorilla or super glue would work (but who wants it permanently attached?)

wife walks by and says "Use some zipties."

I did and it worked. It actually I would suggest works better than the pins. That actuator bar hits that switch pretty good. The zipties let the switch trip but it also lets the switch float a little, unlink the pins that break off (and dont give)

so.. two zipties.. we will see how well this works. So far so good.

total cost on this repair..

20 minutes and 2 zipties.

not bad. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Jake
    I can't believe that I am using a post that is 5 years old and it is exactly what I needed!

I just read how to get the cover off first. As I pulled the cover off, this plastic pin fell on the ground. As I'm trying to figure out what's going on inside, I realize the water dispenser is set up the same way and everything made sense. I had the same problem as hvyhitter except both pins broke. I already ordered the new bracket but I'll try to jury-rig the controls for now.

Thanks!!

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast