• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

10.1 cu. ft. Magic Chef refrigerator/freezer HMDR1000 - Not Cooling

gdaarob

Premium Member
Model Number
HMDR1000BE
Brand
Magic Chef
I have a 10.1 cu. ft. Magic Chef refrigerator/freezer model HMDR1000BE, purchased at Home Depot approximately 2 years ago. It's been a great unit but it suddenly stopped cooling over the weekend. I do hear fans running but no cooling. I can replace for less than $300 at HD after rebate so I don't want to spend a lot of $ on repair, but I hate to get rid of a fairly new machine if I can fix it cheaply. Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put your hand on the top of the compressor and see if its running.

If the compressor is running but not cooling inside, then you have a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will definitely exceed the machines value on your 10.1 cu. ft. Magic Chef refrigerator/freezer.

Jake

gdaarob

Premium Member
Thanks Jake for your reply. I unplugged the machine and plugged it back in. As far as I can tell the compressor is running, based on a slight vibration and noise that begins several seconds after plugging in. A short time later, fan(s) appear to be kicking in.

I have noticed more gurgling than normal since the problem began. Not sure if that means anything.

Assuming it doesn't miraculously start cooling, I will likely replace as you suggest.

What is your opinion on putting the new unit on its side during transport? A reply from Magic Chef to a question regarding that issue on HD website said it was acceptable as long as it stands upright for 4 hours afterwards. Do you agree? I'm pretty sure I kept the original unit upright during transport, although it wasn't easy getting it on my truck and securing in upright position.

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm completely against putting any refrigerator or freezer on its side even for a short time.:)

The compressor oil at the bottom of the compressor can leak into the sealed system, then your up a creek without a paddle. 😭

Jake

gdaarob

Premium Member
OK - good to know. The compressor is quite hot, by the way. Not sure if that's normal, but I'm just gonna replace the machine. Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The compressor is quite hot, by the way.
That's another sign that it is the sealed system. It should not be hot, just warm.

Jake

mtntoys

having same problem with my unit... compressor is not warm but hot to the touch...unit was used under the insulated overhang of a 5th wheel during the winter...temp never under 28 or 29

Alences

Premium Member
I'm having the same problem as well. A humming sound when plugged in. The freezer is still freezing items but the fridge is not cooling. The fans are not running either. Not sure if it is the same closed system issue or not. Any thougts on that?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What is the model number of your refrigerator? If its not the same model as the OP--->HMDR1000BE then we will need to move your post to a new thread.

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The fan in the freezer is not running? Is the condenser fan motor next to the compressor running?

If just the freezer fan is not running, then its possibly bad. I don't know what the voltage rating is on this freezer fan motor, but you should see a tag on model with the voltage rating on it, then use a multimeter and see if its getting the proper volts to it, if so and its just humming and not running, then its bad.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor this model:

Jake

Alences

Premium Member
As far as I can see there is no fan next to the compressor. It does just hum and never runs. It just threw me off because the freezer part is still freezing and I would think that it would not work in the freezer either.

CAMPO

Premium Member
I have the same problem with the same model but it's cord was recently damaged by rats: do you think cord replacement will fix this problem or I have to look for other causes?

CAMPO

Premium Member
Just in case if I put my post in the wrong place I'll repeat: I have the same problem with the same model but the cord on mine was recently damaged by rats. I ordered a new cord but don't know if the cord replacement will fix this or I should look for other causes right now

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If it was cooling fine before the rats damaged the cord, then the new cord should fix it.

Meaning if the rats damaged the cord and that caused a loss of power to the compressor and fans, then the new cord should be all it needs.

Jake

CAMPO

Premium Member
Thank you very much for fast reply. I'll receive the cord in couple of days and report the result.

CAMPO

Premium Member
Dear Jake,
I ordered the power cord from Summit parts before I found your blog, but it turned out that it is on back order, so I cancelled it. Looked at AppliancePartsPros and didn't see it at all. Can you please advise where else to look. I figured out that the part number is 3050100117.
Thank you very much!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I think this is it: mcappliance.com/power-cord-35113u5w88.html

You may want to call them first at 1-888-775-0202 and make sure before you order it.

Jake

CAMPO

Premium Member
I did call them and they said it is not the right part, the right one # 3050100117 is on back order till mid October. But I wonder why you came up with this part? May be I can substitute it for that one? I'm confused, because I also talked to Sears about the part you recommended and they told me it will fit because the manufacturer upgraded it. but when I called the manufacturer they said it was not true and I need the original part.

Robert4

Premium Member
They seem to be made by the same manufacturer.

Interesting, I asked Repair Clinic and the person I spoke to said they are compatible with each other. Which manufacturer did you call? Chinese made units are usually just throw away units, which is why it's harder to find information or even correct information on them.

The one Jake suggested (35113U5W88)
Cord 1.png

The original (3050100117)
Cord 2.png

Last edited: