• ** REMEMBER! **The microwave can still shock you even unplugged!!

ALWAYS discharge the high-voltage capacitor first if you even think your hands will come close to any HIGH VOLTAGE components.

Jeff mentions this: Anything in the high voltage ( magnetron, capacitor, diode, wires to and from ):
    ...Use a metal ( not the shiny chrome type ) screw driver with a insulated handle to short across ( touch both at the same time ) the terminals of the high voltage capacitor to discharge it.

From Jeff's site: http://www.applianceaid.com/component-testing.php

Jake
  • Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

10 year old Kitchenaid Microwave KCMS1555SBL2 started arcing

rbon

Premium Member
Model Number
KCMS1555SBL2
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a 10 year old KitchenAid microwave (KCMS1555SBL2) which is installed as a built in with a 24in trim kit. Even though the unit has been kept super clean, today it started arcing for the first time while making popcorn. The arcing seems to be coming from the waveguard/magnetron area. The magnetron cover is super clean but I cleaned it again as well as the whole interior and tried again--still arcing. I even took off the waveguard and cleaned underneath. I have ordered a new waveguard/cover to see if this resolves the arcing.

Here is the issue: I can't seem to find any good quality microwave which will fit in the cubby we have and which will also accommodate a trimkit--today's trim kits have different dimensions. The net size of my cubby itself (disregarding front cabinet trim which can be removed or cut back) is 17.125" deep, 15.75" high and 25.5" wide. I am trying to repair this old microwave because it fits in this space nicely with the existing trim. Is it worth doing so? Is it likely to be fixed by putting in the new waveguide/cover or not? Assuming the answer is no, do you have a recommendation as to a small good quality microwave which would fit in this enclosure?

Added complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
KCMS1555 is just a partial model, please post your complete model number.

I just asked Rick if he could help you, I don't work on microwaves.

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

rbon

Premium Member
Hi: Here is a photo of the mag tube antenna. Does this look like burned or scorched to you? If so, what should I do? Thanks

Attachments