10 year old Whirlpool dishwasher has never worked

Dana P.

Premium Member
Model
GU2500XTPQ7
Brand
Whirlpool
When I built this house I put all Whirlpool appliances in, that was in 2006. We didn't use the dishwasher but I did accidentally hit the start button once and it started. About 3 or 4 years ago it had some lights start blinking. It would not start. The normal cycle light has been blinking about 3 times a second for at least 2 years. I don't think I ever did have the water turned on to it. Do any of you have any idea what would be wrong with it?
Thanks, Dana

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do all the buttons respond when pressed? All you get is flashing lights on normal and start buttons?

If so that's usually a sign the control panel has a shorted key in it.

Here's the control panel assembly for your model:
Whirlpool 3385745 Panel-Cntl

Jake

Dana P.

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. None of the buttons respond when pushed. The only thing it does is the normal button blinks 3 times a second and has been doing so for about 3 years. Is what I described here an indication of a shorted out button? Will the buttons short out from lack of use? This thing has never had a drop of water in it.
Dana

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes Dana, That's what's odd is its never been in use, you may want to at least open the control panel and take a look to see if the control panel ribbon cable may just be loose where it connects to the control board.

Watch this video to access it:

Now some models don't have that black cover you see in the video, just ignore that step if yours doesn't.

<IFRAME title="YouTube video player" height=390 src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FhsuRn6ysbc?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Dana!

Jake