• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.41153.210 New cold temp thermostat - Short Cycling

MtnHermit

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Just installed a new cold temp thermostat and the refrig is short cycling badly. About 2 min off and 2 min on.
Good news, temp control excellent. Both refrig and freezer set far left, CCW. Freezer around 0, refrig 37
Is there a hysteresis adjustment, or do I need another thermostat?
Did I incorrectly connect the wires?

Having the compressor start every few minutes sounds like a path to failure, expensive failure.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Is this the same appliance you were working on here:
and here:

You never did complete either of those messages with a final outcome. Please finish your messages in the forum here in case others come across them looking for similar answers.

refrig is short cycling badly. About 2 min off and 2 min on.

What is causing it? Is it the thermostat shutting everything down (fans too) or just the compressor stopping?

temp control excellent.

I don't see how that is possible if short-cycling.

do I need another thermostat?

What thermostat did you install exactly? Did you change the previously installed aftermarket control you mentioned in your previous post??

It calls for:
LINK > Kenmore 106.41153210 OEM Thermostat WPW10583800

Did I incorrectly connect the wires?

I don't know how miswiring a thermostat would cause "short cycling" but maintain correct temperatures.

Having the compressor start every few minutes sounds like a path to failure

I agree.

Dan O.

MtnHermit

Premium Member
You never did complete either of those messages with a final outcome. Please finish your messages in the forum here in case others come across them looking for similar answers.

For the last six years I have been using the refrig with an inline switch on the defroster. I run the defrost manually about once a week if I remember and circle the date on the calendar. The key was Jake telling me the schematic was in the kick plate.

About 2 years ago I replaced the OEM cold temp thermostat with an aftermarket one. Better than the failed OEM but flaky. Hence a new one. This is the new thermostat:
2198202 Refrigerator Cold Control Thermostat - Exact Fit for Whirlpool,Kenmore. Replaces Part Numbers: WP2198202 2161284 2198201 PS11739232 AP6006166

refrig is short cycling badly. About 2 min off and 2 min on.

What is causing it? Is it the thermostat shutting everything down (fans too) or just the compressor stopping?

This is a new insight for me, I assumed that the fan and compressor always work together. Since I have an inline watt meter, I checked and two distinct values:
99 watts and 7 watts, so I'll take the 99 as the fan and compressor, and the 7 as the fan alone.
What puzzles me is the fan cycling, while writing this reply the fan cycled a dozen times for less than 10 sec each . . . WHY?
Somehow the new thermostat must be involved. Never heard this behavior with either the OEM or 1st replacement thermostat.

Again very good temps for both freezer and refrig, middle of the adjustment range, so room to fine tune.

Dan, thank you for your reply . . . keep learning!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
For the last six years I have been using the refrig with an inline switch on the defroster. ...

About 2 years ago I replaced the OEM cold temp thermostat with an aftermarket one.

My point was in neither of those original forum messages did you come back and tell how the issues finally turned out.

Not only can posting a final message help others whom come across those messages at a later date but the technician assisting you is interested in knowing the outcome as well. You never even thanked Jake for directing you to the wiring diagram let alone that it helped you solve the issue, or posting a copy for others. (Others might be interested in exactly how it was accomplished as well in case they're facing a similar issue).

Please complete each of your other forum posts with a final outcome so others know the result as well.

This is the new thermostat: 2198202

That is not the control called for on that model. I have no idea of its temperature specifications nor whether it is compatible.

I assumed that the fan and compressor always work together.

They're supposed to operate together and if the thermostat is what is shutting them down, they will operate similarly. If one or the other is stopping by itself, the thermostat is not causing it.

Dan O.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.