• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.45433800 Kenmore elite Refrigerator - Auger motor not turning

mkaatman

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Kenmore elite: 106.45433800

Auger motor: 2322580

I've pulled the motor and hooked up 12V to it and it turns both directions. I measure 80 Ω resistance across the outer pins.

I tried measuring voltage on the harness when the lever is pressed and it comes back +/- 40 VDC depending on cubed or crushed.

Is there a more conclusive way I can test the motor? If it's not the motor, any advice on further testing or locating the board that is powering it? I'm not sure if it's the board in the panel on the front of the door or elsewhere.

Lastly, under the front panel is another panel bolted to the door. After removing the bolts, the panel wouldn't budge if anyone has advice on how to remove it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If you look on your auger motor you will see it rated at 120 volts DC

Let's first check your bracket control to see of the dispenser switch pins are broken, then check the wiring where it goes up into the freezer door for breakage.

I explain it here in this post:

Jake

mkaatman

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, Physically the pins and bracket are in good shape. Pressing the switch manually made no difference. I tried jumpering the wires going to the switch which also didn't matter. The switch activates the light and panel as expected.

The wire looms going into the door all look to be in good shape with no fraying.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

When you test for voltage at the auger motor you have to press the ice dispenser lever to activate it first, and the door switch pushed in.:)

Access the auger motor and check for either +110 VDC or -110 VDC between the brown/white wire and the red/white wire. One direction is crushed the other is cubed.

If the voltage is correct, replace the auger motor:
W10822606 Motor

If still no voltage, then its the control board not providing the proper volts to the auger motor.

Here's the control board for your model:
Electronic Control Board WPW10209635

Let us know what you find.

Jake

mkaatman

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. Where is that board located and how do I access it? My wires are a different color but I only get +/- 40 VDC based on cubed or crushed. My motor looks a bit different but I think that one looks like it should line up.

Would you happen to know which of those connectors on the board goes to the motor?

Attachments

• motorback.jpg
    motorback.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 39
  • motorfront.jpg
    motorfront.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 38
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 32

mkaatman

Premium Member
I found this inside if it's useful to anyone.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 37

mkaatman

Premium Member
I decided to open the back and see if I can find the board. I did. This component looks burnt. Now the question is, if everything else is working fine, is ice dispensing worth $300 for a new board or do I save that money towards a new fridge when the next piece goes out? :unsure:

Attachments

• burnt.jpg
    burnt.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 41

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, that burnt control board is the issue.

Its your choice if you want to fix it or not.

Yes, $300 is a lot of money to spend on a 10 plus year old machine, so that is true, you have to consider what other parts will be going out next.

Jake