106.50532101 Kenmore refrigerator Ice maker does not complete cycle.

MikeFromHC

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
After the ice is ejected, the tray refilled, etc, my ice maker requires that I move the white "paddles" a small fraction of an inch to complete the cycle. I feel no resistance until it hits an obvious stop. I have lubed the gears.
I do have a big hammer.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Right off the bat, I'd say replace the ice maker and you're done. Without a model number, we're dead in the water. Read it from the tag on the machine. Click here: Appliance Parts follow the link “How to find a model number”

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
That is the simple solution. Maybe you meant a cheaper solution. Going from your description it sounds like the main gear or the IM motor is worn. The home or Park position is at 2 o'clock and you're saying after the fill cycle and the ice maker stops you need to move the ejector rake "a little bit more" or the ice maker won't make ice. Is that correct? If so that means the motor can't turn the gear that fraction of an inch to the correct position. Maybe the motor is weak or there's worn teeth on the main gear or the internal switch is worn. Either way the problem is in the power module.

Replacing just the power module will probably fix the problem. Here's the deal with this style IM, The cost of the power module is almost the cost of a new ice maker. Once one part fails others aren't too far behind. The cube ejector and ejector rake wear out. The coating on the inside of the ice mold will start to flake off. Both common problems. It's less expensive in the long run to replace the ice maker rather than repair it. The price on these ice makers has come down quite a bit.