• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.51133210 Kenmore Fridge door water dispenser randomly not working, grinding noise heard

meadrocks

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore 106.51133210 side by side refrigerator with water & ice dispenser in the freezer door. The ice maker works great. When I go to dispense water I hear a grinding / thumping noise.
After several attempts the water will flow, but it can take 1, or 2, or up to 10 tries before the water flows. Any idea what part needs replacing?

Thanks.

--Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Andrew,

Have you replaced the water filter? and then this happened or not?

Here's the water filter for your model:
Water Filter EDR1RXD1

Remove the water filter, then dispense water and see if the grinding / thumping noise is still present or not.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So with the bypass filter installed its still grinding / thumping.

Can you pinpoint exactly where? Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and see if that noise is coming from the water inlet valve, where the water line from your house hooks up to it.

Here's the single water inlet valve for your model(where you home water line connects to):
WPW10238100 Valve

Here's the dual valve right behind the single valve:
WPW10341320 Valve-Inlt

Jake

Last edited:

meadrocks

Premium Member
Its the single valve. However by moving the water feed hose around it has stopped doing the jackhammering, strange. The hose was not kinked at all. I'll test it for a week before putting it all back together.

Maybe I should just order the part anyway, especially if its just going to fail soon. What is your opinion?

Also the links to the parts don't seem to resolve.

Thanks.

--Andrew

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
All the links to the parts resolve good for me, turn off your ad blocker if you have one.

Yes, the single valve I would order, if it happens once it will happen again.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

meadrocks

Premium Member
I replaced the valve Sunday. It worked for an hour, now the jackhammering is back, the valve is shaking. Today I'm going to take the water feed hose off & verify it has a good flow feeding the valve. I should have tested it yesterday but didnt think of it.
I dont know what else could be the problem.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I don't understand, because with no filter installed its automatically bypassed and it was still water hammering with no water filter in it correct?

Jake

meadrocks

Premium Member
The filter was clogged. I had installed a 'bypass' filter, which i assumed there was no filter in the filter, just a tube from the in to the out, but that was not the case. I never tried the water dispenser without a filter installed, I just thought it would not work, I assumed it needed a filter for the water to flow. Either way the new filter is working perfectly, we have ice & water from the freezer door dispenser. Thanks again for your help. Saved me a technician call.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Got it!

Now I see how you bypassed it. Yes, on this style water filter with no water filter inserted it should automatically bypass. Now on Frigidaire and GE models there is a filter cartridge that bypasses the filter, meaning its a dummy filter.:)

Glad to hear the new water filter fixed it.

Thanks for the update!

Jake