• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.51133210 Kenmore Refrigerator - Icemaker not filling

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEK

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
My icemaker stopped making ice. The water dispenser still works, though. I tried some suggestions found on other posts and what I've found is that the icemaker will work fine and produce ice if I fill it manually but won't refill when it ejects the ice. I tried jumping across V and L on the icemaker module and got nothing. So, based on what I've read here, I'd guess it's the solenoid valve or the icemaker itself that's the problem.

I was planning to check the inlet valve and found a single solenoid valve that the water line connects to and it seems to be working fine. There's what looks like another valve behind the first one. It looks like it's attached to the inside of the case with wire ties and the connector is held on to the valve with a wire tie.

Does this model have two water valves and is the second one Is this the one that controls the icemaker flow? I'd just like to be sure before I start cutting the wire ties.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put your multimeter probes in the electrical connector that goes to the single water inlet valve, then Run service step 25- Ice Maker Water Fill Test, and see if your meter says 120 volts. Do the same on the ice maker solenoid side of the dual water inlet valve and see if you get 120 volts.

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below that shows you how to do step 25.

Both of these water inlet valves are in the back of your refrigerator. The dual one should be located behind the single one, it will have a small plastic cover over it that is held on by 1 screw, just remove that screw to get that cover off the dual one.

Here's the single water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10238100 Valve

Here's the dual water inlet valve for your model:
Water Inlet Valve WPW10341320

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Attachments

• W10516607 - Rev C.pdf
    674 KB · Views: 77

PEK

Premium Member
Thank you for the information.

I put the unit in diagnostic mode and ran service step 25. I got 120 volts on the single water inlet valve. I then checked the icemaker side (the one with the smaller diameter hose) of the dual solenoid valve but I wasn't clear on the diagnostic procedure for the icemaker solenoid. While it's in the diagnostic mode, do you press the water pad to energize the icemaker solenoid? When I did that, I got zero volts.

Just in case, I took the unit out of diagnostic mode and ran a test cycle on the icemaker with the ice bin in place and the door switch taped closed and it still showed no voltage at the electrical connector at any point during the icemaker cycle.

Based on this, can we assume that it's the icemaker that needs to be replaced?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Step 25 is not too clear if you have to hold in the water pad or not to activate it. Did you hold it in to get 120 volts to the single valve?

But first, check your wire harness under the freezer door and see if you have any cut wires preventing 120 volts going to the ice maker side(smaller diameter hose) of your dual water water inlet valve.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem

Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door, I'd remove your kickplate and check for that first.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

If the wires are good and none are cut, then yes, I'd order the ice maker.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
WPW10251076 Icemaker

Let us know what you find.

Jake

PEK

Premium Member
I feel like I could copy and paste 3 or 4 other replies on this forum but, I peeled back the weave and found one wire broken, another nearly broken and a third where the insulation just starting to crack. I fixed them with butt connectors and shrink wrap, then ran a test cycle on the icemaker and it filled as it's supposed to and has been making ice since then.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I would have been really PO'd if I'd found this problem after spending $200 on a new icemaker!

Thanks again.

Paul

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Paul, good job finding the broken wires under the freezer door and fixing them.(y)

Glad to hear the ice maker is working great again!

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.