• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.51133210 Kenmore Side by side, freezer cold but fridge warm

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Need your help team.

We inherited Kenmore Coldspot 106.51133210. Freezer is working properly but fridge at 10 degrees Celsius.

1) evaporation coil is mildly frosted.

2) Vent in freezer side working fine.
3) Damper in fridge not flowing air when freezer door is closed. Once freezer door open, I feel very mild airflow from fridge vent.
4) temp on freezer side is - 21'C.
5) Temp on Fridge side is +10'C.
6) when turn off/on the refrigerator from using button in front, I hear wired sound from damper.

Is it safe to say that damper unit needs to be replaced.

If yes, any video I can refer. I see few videos but for old models. I don't see any screw/wire near damper.

Also do you guys think there is a air circulation problem aswell. I don't really know whete of the return air vent.

Plz help

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you will need a new air damper. Also look for a return air flow vent inside the refrigerator on the inside middle to lower walls or towards the bottom, and check it for ice/frost build-up, I don't see the return air vent on this model in the parts diagram.

Here's the air damper for your model:
W11164593 Diffuser

On some models you first have to--->Open the water filter door and remove the filter. Remove the ¼” screw securing the air damper (diffuser) cover to the cabinet. Remove the air damper cover.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Just for curiosity, I opened the back panel of freezer and everything was looking ok. Photo of coil is attached.

However I see loads of ice build up at back of diffuser area in freezer size. Photo attached. Do you think it's worth blowing dryer in that area to see it starts again.

By the way I ordered the new diffuser and it will be arriving tomorrow. Will wait for your reply before I change the diffuser

Attachments

• 20210608_232315.jpg
    20210608_232315.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210608_232218.jpg
    20210608_232218.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 82

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait till you get the new diffuser, then you can blow dry it before you replace it.

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Hi Jack,

Sorry to bug you.

Something wired i would like to share.

1) I opened the freezer size top panel to see if there is any frost build up behind the diffuser unit. There was very little but nothing significant.
2) I removed the diffuser unit.
3) I put my hand to feel cold air from the vent after removing the diffuser unit but I don't feel any.
4) But the moment I opened freezer door, I feel cold air from vent.
5) I installed the new diffuser and the wired noice stopped however no cold air :(
6) I think return air vent is the culprit. A vaccum is being created in freezer and no air is traveling if door is closed.
7) I cannot find the return air vent in both freezer/fridge side. I checked everywhere on the wall but I cannot find one.

PLZ HELP.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
6) I think return air vent is the culprit. A vaccum is being created in freezer and no air is traveling if door is closed.
7) I cannot find the return air vent in both freezer/fridge side. I checked everywhere on the wall but I cannot find one.
Bingo!

I must of looked an hour for the return air vent myself on your model and could not find it anywhere either.

I own a Kenmore Refrigerator that is very close to your model, but mine DOES NOT have the air filter, and yours DOES HAVE the air filter, remove the air filter and see if ice is blocking from behind it.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#12 is the air filter cover, that should just unsnap off.
#11 is the air filter.

Here's the parts diagram for my refrigerator:
#2 is the louver that covers my return duct

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
No Luck brother. I check the filter and no ice.
Problem is return air vent. I called Kenmore, 52 min on the call and 7 call transfer but they dont have answer aswell.
I am loosing my hope now.
I am going to open back panel of freezer side and remove all shelving from both side. Make a video, Uploads on YouTube and will send the link to you.
Feel like taking a 1 inch drill bit and create a return vent. LOL

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
And unfortunately Sears Canada is no longer in business.

So if you inherited this Kenmore, its best to have someone in Canada who is good at these help you out.

@jeff1 lives in Hamilton, Ontario Canada, hes likely the only one that can help you. He is taking time off from the forum here, but still does local service calls in Canada.

He has a appliance shop in Hamilton Ontario: http://www.applianceaid.com/jrappliance.html

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Hi Jack, Quick Update: After loads of procrastination and funny milk, I decided to remove everything from my fridge and freezer. Removed both back cover of freezer side and every shelving.

Good Stuff first:
1) I managed to find the return air vent both side.
2) I blow hot air and i can feel the hot air on other side.
3) there are 2 vents, one for crisper and one for return vent.
4) Both went were fine. no ice buildup.

Bad stuff:
1) Now the problem is unknown whats happening. Refrigerator is always at 10 degree Celsius.
2) I can feel very Very mild cold air from the damper. very mild.

Is there is a possibility that the fan motor not rotating strong enough to blow enough air to the damper?

do you think its worth buying a fan motor and change it?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is there is a possibility that the fan motor not rotating strong enough to blow enough air to the damper?

do you think its worth buying a fan motor and change it?
You know I was thinking that too, its very rare to happen, but I have seen this happen once or twice in my 34 years as a career tech.

Use your phone and make a video of that evaporator fan motor blowing, then , you can upload the video here OR to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Once I hear it blowing I can tell you if it's blowing strong enough or not.

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Youtube VIDEO for you Jake.

You let me know if you think that fan is rotating fast enough.

Thanks in advance brother.

God Bless

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its the evaporator fan motor not running fast enough, it should sound much louder than that, thus moving more cold air into the refrigerator section.

Here's the Evaporator(freezer) fan motor for your model you can order:
WP2315549 Evaporator Fan Motor

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Thank you 🙏. I just ordered the part. Thank you for your help.

Another thought came.. Will it be possible that motor is not getting enough volts from the board?

Do you think it's worth checking the DC volt with volt meter at the leads where moter is connected?

Also, if there is a prob on supply volt, then I guess I have to change control board. Is it expensive?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It runs on 120 volts A/C not D/C.

So you can use a meter set on A/C volts and see how much power you are getting to the evaporator fan motor.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
My name is Jake, not Jack. Think of Jake from State Farm!

Ok, good video!

Its blowing too slow, so you will need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor. I posted the link to it in post #14.

Jake

LiveAndLetLive

Premium Member
Soo sorry... Coffee didnt kicked it...i meant Jake. My bad.

I will keep you posted with update.

Thanks for your help again.

God bless

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No worries.:)

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Jake