• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.51133213 Kenmore Coldspot fridge not cooling properly. Freezer works fine

Michael86

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a second hand refrigerator that the fridge side isnt cooling, but the freezer is working great. I can hear the motor and fan run. This was working fine a week ago but I noticed that it slowly getting warmer.

Any help is really appreciated very tight on cash and would live to learn how to handle this to save me money in the future as well. We have a 3wk old child and this second refrigerator is storing some necessity for us/daughter right now.

Attachments

• 20220623_230746.jpg
    20220623_230746.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 43

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So the fan in the freezer is blowing good cold air? The air damper that lets the cold freezer air in may be clogged or broken. Put you hand at the very top left side inside the refrigerator and see if you feel cold air coming out those vents, if not open the freezer too while you keep the refrigerator door open and see if the air flow increases.

Here's the air damper for your model:

Jake

Michael86

Premium Member
Thank you for the information.

I was able to get the part. Looking at the old air damper, it seems like the vent was open. I've replaced the old with the new and I'm waiting. I would like to know if there's anything else that I may need to look for or do if the fridge part doesn't cool.

Michael

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looking at the old air damper, it seems like the vent was open.
Was cold air coming out of it a good flow rate when you put your hand over it? If not, open the freezer door and see if the air flow increases.

Do you notice any frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer?

Jake

Michael86

Premium Member
I did notice that the back panel instruments where froze over. I've removed the ice and I'm waiting for the temp to go back to normal.

What is the best way to remove the ice and how can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you take a photo if it if it happens again?

Usually an air leak will cause warm air to come in and go right to that back panel and freeze those controls.

So check ALL AROUND the door gaskets for a good tight seal when the doors are closed.

Jake

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.