106.51183113 Elite Coldspot not freezing/cooling enough

jmdlm

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello,

I've been reading other forums to try and troubleshoot it down. We don't have the water lines hooked up so no ice issue. The settings are at the coldest setting but the freezer is not keeping anything frozen. The fridge is keeping everything cool but not cold. The fans are operating, coils are clean and wet not frozen, and the compressor is running warm. However, I did notice it will click on and off at times but I'm not sure if that is normal. I don't have an ohm meter so I'm thinking that is the next step before replacing a control board? Unless the relay is running intermittently but i'm not sure if that is a possibility either? Any help appreciated, thank you!

jmdlm

Premium Member
update* woke up this morning to a hot compressor. Could hold my hand on it for about 4-5 secs.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Jim,

I'd first check the compressor start relay.

Here is the guide with photos of how to access/replace it: FIXED How to replace a - Whirlpool/Kenmore Model 106 - Refrigerator Start Relay

Make sure your refrigerator is unplugged from the wall before removing it, after you remove it shake it, if it rattles inside its bad.

If it doesn't rattle, then you use a multimeter to ohm test it for continuity, normal would be 0-12 ohms.

See the photo below of it? You put your 2 meter probes in both parallel holes at the same time and see what your meter reads. Keep the refrigerator unplugged when ohm testing it.:)

Here's the compressor start relay device for your model you can order if needed:
Start Device WPW10197428

Jake

jmdlm

Premium Member
Thank you. The relay tested good. What would be the next best step?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

On the main control board check for 120 volts at P1-1(BLACK WIRE) to P1-2(WHITE WIRE).

If that's good, then check for 120 volts at P1-2(WHITE WIRE) to P1-4(RED WIRE) when the refrigerator should be on and cooling. That's the voltage to make the compressor and condenser fan run when its in normal cooling mode.

If that's good, then the problem is a sealed system issue. Check your owners manual warranty, some models have a limited 10 yr. warranty on the sealed system.

Jake