• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.5227 Kenmore Coldspot Refrigerator Freezing - a real head-scratcher

dave777

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The refrigerator section of my Kenmore Coldspot side-by-side is frozen with the temp control set all the way (or anywhere I set it). This model has a mechanical control for the small door between the freezer and refrigerator sections. I ordered a new thermostat. When I took the old one out, I did a simple test - stuck it in freezer and connected an ohmmeter. It did click open after a minute or two, so I assumed it was working. I installed the new one and cleaned out dust etc from the coils while I had the unit pulled out from the wall. The problem remains. After stabilizing overnight, temperatures are: freezer -20F, refrigerator 22F.

The mechanical linkage between the left knob and the small door between the freezer and refrigerator is working. When I turn the temp control (right knob) fully counterclockwise I think I hear the relay click. Below are my next ideas. Any thoughts from experts will be appreciated.

1. Check that the relay on the control board does indeed operate and make/break.
2. Open the doors and turn it off for 24 hours.
3. Buy a monkey, give him a thermometer and have him turn frige on/off as necessary.

Q: Does anyone have a schematic for the control board and/or describe its functionality. Looks pretty simple and I can trace out if necessary.
Q: There is a vent on the left side of the refrigerator wall about half way down. What is this for?

I refuse to throw in the towel or pay Sears $500 to fix this.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
-20*F in the freezer section and 22*F in the fresh food section, the compressor is running 100% of the time except when in defrost mode. That's related to the cold control you replaced. What's the part number of the one you replaced?

rickgburton

Staff member
That's the correct part number. So you need to determine if the replacement cold control is sensing the temperature at the capillary where it goes around the damper and if the cold control is opening (shutting off the compressor). Something tells me it's not. Is the compressor running constantly? Power for the compressor comes from the cold control and the ADC supplies the cold control.
R-Adaptive Defrost Control.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
FLEXVISON ??? only $13.00 ??? That throws 2 red flags up to me.

The OEM retail price for that the thermostat is $63: WP2198202 Cold Control

I'll bet my hat that thermostat from amazon is the problem.

Jake

rickgburton

Staff member
I think Jake is right. You can check it the same way as you did before even installed and the machine running. Since the cold control opens and closes you can connect your meter to the control. As long as you don't touch a ground with one of the meter leads you should be able to tell when it opens.