• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.53203200 Kenmore elite refrigerator is not cooling on the refrigerator side, but the freezer is cold

TNscene

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Side by side refrigerator is not cooling on the refrigerator side, but the freezer is cold. There was some ice build up on the top shelf fan in the refrigerator, which I reduced with a hair dryer. Refrigerator side is still only getting to 50 degrees. Any help/ recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Added/Corrected complete model number

Last edited by a moderator:

TNscene

Premium Member
The 52303200 is the number on the model line. I think it's the air damper since there was no air movement and then some air movement after I used a hair dryer to melt some ice build up on the fan

TNscene

Premium Member
Here's a picture in case I would pick the wrong info

Attachments

• Resized_20201001_172230.jpeg
    Resized_20201001_172230.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 26

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It should be 106.53203200 per your model number tag.:)

You had the 2 and 3 reversed.

Is the evaporator fan motor in the freezer running?

If so, I agree it's likely your air diffuser thats bad, I've replaced lots of these for this issue.

You can also stick something small in the vent to see if the vent louvers open, like a small pocket screwdriver or small pen/pencil till your new air diffuser arrives.

Here's the air diffuser for your model you can order:
WP2216112 Air Diffuser

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I tried 106. and nothing came up. Now I know why.
The 52303200 is the number on the model line.
Good thing you posted the picture.

Leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the evaporator cover. Take a pic of the frost pattern on the coils and post it here. Reinstall the cover.

TNscene

Premium Member
I think it's the diffuser. Took a good amount apart and no ice build up. Louvres are open. This part isn't pulling air into the refrigerator. It's just the air force generated from the freezer side. Having a technician take a look today to be for sure. Thank you!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Also, when you open your freezer door and the air flows good into your refrigerator section, then you close the freezer door and it stops flowing good, that indicates an ice clog in your return air duct tunnel assembly.

#4 here is your return air duct louver that unsnaps:
(click to enlarge)
106.53203200.png

Its on the the left side wall in your refrigerator section, so you will likely need to remove the middle shelves and lower drawers to access it.

Clear all the ice out and see if that solves it. You can run hot water down and see if it flows out from the bottom vent, take the shelves out of the freezer, then take the lower back panel off from inside the freezer, then you can see the bottom vent to the right.

Jake

TNscene

Premium Member
Thank you! I'll check that, as well. I cancelled my technician and ordered the diffuser since it wasn't running. Air flow is strictly from the freezer. Hoping that will fix issue. Thank you for your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The freezer evaporator fan motor forces cold air through that air damper, so if you open the air damper louvers with a small pocket screwdriver or small pen/pencil you should feel plenty of cold air coming through the air damper. Did you do that a feel cold freezer air blowing through the air damper into the refrigerator section?

Jake

TNscene

Premium Member
There was air coming through, but with very low force. Hoping it's just the diffuser no longer pushing it causing the higher temperature in the refrigerator

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your not understanding, the freezer(evaporator) fan motor pushes the cold air through the air damper into the refrigerator section.:)

If the louvers in the air damper are fully open then it should be getting down to 36-40 degrees in the refrigerator section.

That's why I always put a small pocket screwdriver or small pen/pencil in the air damper louvers to force them fully open.

Did you put a small pocket screwdriver or small pen/pencil in the air damper louvers to force them fully open?

Jake

TNscene

Premium Member
I did. The louvers are open. I took pictures from both the freezer and refrigerator and it's open. I had hoped it was just closed off before ordering the diffuser fan

Attachments

• 20201001_185730.jpg
    20201001_185730.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 28

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
See your photo, they are closed, look deep inside there.

Here is a photo of them open:

That's why I mentioned to stick something deep inside there to open them, to see if the air flow increases.:)

Jake

Rae747

Premium Member
I have this same issue on a Kenmore 106.53552202. I appreciated the picture clarifying louvres open. I stuck a bamboo stick in there and now cold air coming in. Are you saying this means I need a new air diffuser?