• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.53522300 Kenmore freezer coldspot randomly stops working

dam10886

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a Kenmore coldspot 106.53522300 2003

About a month ago i noticed that things in my fridge and freezer were thawing or warm. i adjusted the nobs to 6 on both which fixed it for about a week then it happened again. I cleaned the metal fins underneath as best i could and that did nothing. now 3 days later the freezer is ice cold again and fridge is cold. i pulled down where the nobs were assuming the board would be there and nope no board. my question is do you know what might be happening and where the board is located the wires just go up into the roof of the fridge.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
my question is do you know what might be happening and where the board is located the wires just go up into the roof of the fridge.

There is no 'board' on that model. It uses conventional controls.

Whatever is causing the problem has to be investigated when the problem is actually occurring and before any manual defrosting or cycling of the power, etc.

You can read about common possibilities at the following link. Each of them would have to be investigated and ruled out one at a time until the cause in your case is isolated. Once you determine what is or is not working at that time, we may be able to suggest a course of action.

*Thoroughly* cleaning the condenser is likely #1.

Dan O.

dam10886

Premium Member
Ok so when it happened again I unplugged it for 2 hours then plugged it back in waited 6 hours and it never kicked on. I adjusted the noise to 6 waited another 6 hours still nothing happened. Then this morning 2 days later it hear it running and both fridge and freezer are cold.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
It needs to be investigated right when it is actually happening, before unplugging it and before waiting 6 hours.

If neither compressor nor fans are running at a time when they should be running (ie. the fridge is warm) it could be the thermostat stopping them or the defrost timer. If the fans are running but not the compressor, the cause could be other things. If the compressor is running but not the fans, it could be something else again. The vague description of what occurred previously is not enough to suggest a possible cause.

dam10886 said:
I adjusted the noise to 6 waited another 6 hours

I do not know what you mean by that.

Dan O.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
if you find both fans and compressor not running when they should, a test for possibly sticking thermostat contacts is gently tapping (not turning) the control knob. If it starts right up after that it's a pretty good sign of a malfunctioning thermostat.

106.53522300 Thermostat LINK

The timer being intermittent is far less likely.

106.53522300 Defrost Timer LINK

If there are any different symptoms we need to know exactly what they are.

Dan O,

dam10886

Premium Member
ok so if it is working intermittently than its safe to assume the compressor and coils and such aren't bad and its probably one of the parts in the housing where the nobs are? so cant i just replace all the guts in that housing? it is a 19 year old fridge so mabey that would be a good thing. i know that when the fridge and freezer are warm there is nothing running no fan no compressor nothing.

dam10886

Premium Member
if you find both fans and compressor not running when they should, a test for possibly sticking thermostat contacts is gently tapping (not turning) the control knob. If it starts right up after that it's a pretty good sign of a malfunctioning thermostat.

also i noticed when i took the nobs off to get in the housing i hadnt unplugged it ye
t and i turned the nob down and the compressor turned off instantly. but when it was warm i turned the nob to max and nothing so there has to be a disconnect somewhere in the system that kicks the compressor and fan on and off right

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
dam10886 said:
so if it is working intermittently than its safe to assume the compressor and coils and such aren't bad

No it does not.

A plugged condenser will cause the compressor to run hot or overheat possibly to the point of cutting out on its overload protector or worse, damage the compressor $$$+. If the compressor isn't running, no cooling can take place.

dam10886 said:
there has to be a disconnect somewhere in the system that kicks the compressor and fan on and off right

As I stated previously, if both fans and compressor shut down together, the thermostat and defrost timer are the most likely possibilities.

dam10886 said:
so cant i just replace all the guts in that housing?

You can replace the individual components, not everything together. They're not sold that way.

I linked to the two main parts inside the control console if you want to replace them.

106.53522300 Thermostat LINK

106.53522300 Defrost Timer LINK

Dan O.

dam10886

Premium Member
Awesome thank you very much I'll start with the thermostat and defrost sensor as the fans and compressor are turning on and off together

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I'll start with the thermostat and defrost sensor

I did not say the defrost sensor, I said the defrost timer was one of the two most likely possibilities.

Let us know how you eventually make out.

Dan O.

dam10886

Premium Member
Ya sorry that's what I meant I bought the 2 items you linked. My wife is giving me only 1 chance lol so if this doesn't fix it I jave to buy a new one hahaha.