FIXED 106.53602202 Calling all ice maker detectives

Pianoguy

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Having read as much as possible on this forum to try and get to the problem myself, I'm still needing help. Here is the long winded story up to now ...

- We emptied the ice bucket to get rid of stale ice from being away on a vacation, and pressed the "acceler-ice" button to refill ASAP.
- In hindsight, my wife isn't 100% sure she got the bucket "seated" perfectly upon replacing it before closing the door.
- After returning from a day away, my wife came home to a significant amount of water on the kitchen floor around the unit, but nothing seemed to be actively running/leaking at the time.
- The frig. was totally normal, but upon opening the freezer there was a bunch of water somewhat frozen on all the walls. It was like a can of pop had exploded in there, but it was all water.
- The water service works perfectly from the door, but there was no ice in the bucket at all. I reached into the ice tray and there was no water in the ice tray at all.
- I checked the optics and they checked out fine. Two flashes when the door is opened - then stays on solid once the flapper door is pressed to allow the beam to hit the sensor.
- I then defrosted the freezer to discern whether the fill tube was frozen. I emptied the freezer, then unplugged with the door open until the freezer was totally warm. (I did not open the frig door however as I left the food in there and needed it to stay as cold as possible.) I removed a pretty solid block of ice from the small indented area on the floor under the lowest basket as well as getting everything totally dried out in there.
- I checked the drip pan to see if it was totally full, but it looked normal...
- I plugged back in and once the freezer got back to temperature I checked the ice maker and it still is not filling. Dry as a bone ...

So... Optics checked out; the water gets to the "fountain' in the door correctly; the fill tube is not frozen, yet the tray will not fill with water; and something flooded our floor to start this whole fiasco.:confused:

All right appliance detectives, have at it! Thanks in advance for any help ...

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
First look at the fill tube going into the ice maker and see if it’s blocked with ice. If it’s not blocked then you’ll need to determine if the ice maker is working by either filling it with water and see if it dumps the ice cubes or force cycle the ice maker.

FORCE CYCLE

To force cycle the ice-maker, remove the cover over the module and locate holes “T” and “H”. Take a small piece of wire bent in the shape of a U and short “T” and “H” together. The ice-maker will start the harvest cycle. Wait about 10 seconds and remove wire. The Ice maker will continue through the cycle. At the end of the harvest cycle the ice-maker supplies the coil on the water valve with 110 VAC.

NOTE: If your refrigerator uses the Optics, you’ll also have to tape the emitter flap back and not block the space between the emitter and receiver. You will also need to hold the light switch in until the ice maker starts then remove the wire. Close the freezer door

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Check your fill cup, sounds like there is ice jammed in it causing the fill water to hit the ice jam in the fill cup and splatter everywhere and not able to fill the ice maker tray.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick beat me.:)

Jake

Pianoguy

Premium Member
I can't believe the fill tube or the cup is frozen after I defrosted the entire freezer as there was nothing cold at all in there before I turned it back on, but I'll do my best to check... I'll also fill it with water and see if it cycles the ice out in the morning as I'm heading to bed for the night ... If not, I'll try the force cycle and report back.

Thanks guys - stay tuned.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ice is very stubborn, you have to leave the freezer door open at least 24 hours to defrost everything in the freezer, a few hours won't do it.:)

Jake

Pianoguy

Premium Member
OK, I filled the tray with water last night and this morning there is ice ejected in the bin, so it cycled correctly. However, no water in the tray to replace it. So the issue is clearly the water not filling the tray.(although don't forget that this all started with obviously way too much water coming from somewhere and flooding our kitchen floor)

The fill cup has no ice in it - it's totally empty. As the black fill tube is flexible rubber, I can squeeze it up the 2-3 inches where it disappears into the ceiling and there is clearly no ice in there unless it is above the tube in the ceiling of the freezer.

What's next detectives?

Pianoguy

Premium Member
I just did the electrical test. Nothing at all on the ice maker line solenoid - dead as a doornail. Just to confirm the test I tried it on the water line of the valve and it did energize the solenoid. I'll order the new water valve and report in once I get it installed.

One more question for you pros though ... What do you think happened to cause the flooding? Do you think that solenoid got stuck open and the water just ran free in the freezer for a while until it burned out and closed again? Just wondering what you guys think.... Thanks!

Pianoguy

Premium Member
Got the part and got it installed. Ice maker back doin' its thing churning out ice. Yeah! Vodka on the rocks with a twist are back on the drink menu. :)

I must say, however, that replacement part being a mirror image (i think...) of the original made that a sticky wicket to get back in there due to the lines coming out a different end. Even after re-routing the power cable in that big connector it was tight... It was a knuckle buster for sure.

Thank both of you VERY much for the help you gave me in particular, and in this forum in general. It's very much appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Cool! Good job by the way. It might have been a knuckle buster but you probably saved $150 - $200 for a service call... and your knuckles will heal.