• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.53603202 Kenmore Fridge door not closing properly

edee_em

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi
I have a Kenmore Elite 106.53603202 side by side refrigerator. The fridge side door is not closing properly and some times pops open when I open and close the freezer door. The seal seams fine (magnet still magnetic), the fridge is level side to side and back to front. In the attached pic you can see the bottom left of the door is proud of the freezer side door and not in contact with the frame of the fridge. I also noticed that the top of the fridge door is about a 1/4" lower than the freezer door. Any ideas as to what could be causing this and is there a fix. Thanks

Attachments

• 20220625_163236r2.jpg
    20220625_163236r2.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 48

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
There is a cam at the bottom of the door that help to keep the door properly closed. There is also a mating cam on the lower door hinge. Together they lever the door closed tightly.

LINK > Fridge Compartment Door Cam

LINK > Fridge Lower Hinge Cam

Those cams may be worn and no longer functioning quite properly.

Dan O.

edee_em

Premium Member
Thanks Dan
As it turns out, the door is the least of my troubles. The display panel has stopped working (although numbers are showing, I can't increase or decrease temps nor turn the fridge on/off--none of the buttons are responding). This part is no longer available. Add to that the fridge side is not cooling (currently at around 50 degrees f.). Think I will be going fridge shopping tomorrow.

If you feel that you have benefited from this site, and would like to show your appreciation.