106.54582400 Kenmore Coldspot Digital Temp Control Changes Settings By Itself

jspre1

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Good morning. I have a 14 yr oldish Coldspot side by side (106.54582400). The digital temperature setting has started moving on its own. It only happens to the fridge side, not the freezer. We keep the setting set to a 4, but sometimes the temp setting will be at a 7 and other times, down to a 1. This happens multiple times a week. I’m trying to figure out how to trouble shoot the control board before purchasing another one. Because the control board switches settings by itself, I don’t think it is one of the parts that usually needs replacing for the symptoms of food freezing or the fridge not staying cold.

Is there something else I should be looking at or just replace the control board?

jspre1

Premium Member
Jeff, thanks for the reply. I was able to find a refurbished one online. Do you think it is worth trying to replace it or would it be better to replace the entire fridge. Also, is the control board plug and play or is there soldering involved?

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Plug and play.
What is the condition of the rest of the refrigerator?

Torn gasket, showing some rust, a little noisier, cracked plastic....probably not.
No major cracks, rust or such....probably worth it.

jeff.

jspre1

Premium Member
All seems fine. We had a bunch of cracks when we first bought it but the repair guy came out and sealed them.

Thanks again.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Your welcome, keep us posted.

jeff.