FIXED 106.54786803 Kenmore Refrigerator Ice maker problems

DIY987

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi
I have a Kenmore elite side by side refrigerator model 106.54786803 / serial no s02627590
The ice maker has stopped working
I have replaced the ice maker and the sensor boards on both sides of the freezer
With the door open and the left flat open the LED flashes twice pauses for a second and then repeats
If i press the flat the red light stay illuminated and does not flash
Both the ice maker and the sensors are new.
I’ve defrosted the fridge for several hours to see if its frozen water in the supply pipe, but this did make any difference
The cold water dispenser is working fine
Any suggestions please ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Check the in-line fuse on the ice maker wire harness. If that fuse is blown you will never get power to the ice maker, thus no ice even from a new ice maker.

This is how:
Ohm the in-line thermal fuse, its located on the wiring harness to the ice maker. If that in-line thermal fuse is open, then you will never see any voltage to the ice maker.

It comes integrated with the ice maker wire harness, in case you need to order it:
WP2187467 Harness, Wiring

Its the black wire, ohm that black wire for continuity with a multimeter.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

The new ice maker should have come with a new wire harness, did you use the new wire harness with the new ice maker?

Here's the ice maker for your model:
Ice Maker Assembly WPW10300023

Jake

DIY987

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Yes I used the new one that came with it. Initially I thought you were referring to a separate wire harness from the fridge to the wire connector in the ice maker rather than the ice maker connector

Rgds

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, Remove the front cover on the ice maker, it should just unsnap off, then use a multimeter and check for 120 volts to the ice maker.

Put your meter probes in the L and N holes and see if you get 120 volts, if not push your door switch in and see.

Jake

DIY987

Premium Member
Hi Jake
So tested for power and its ok. Went ahead and put jumper between T &. H. The ice maker plastic arms rotated so it was functioning. However, when i removed the jumper and put the cable cover back on and re-attached everything, the ice maker arms now don’t seem to move

Thoughts ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you keep the door switch pushed in? On some models the ice maker will not continue to cycle if the door is open and the door switch is not held in.:)

Jake

DIY987

Premium Member
Hi Jake
So tried again. Took ice maker unit out but left connected to power connector. Put jumper between T&H and switched off at mains. Left 15 sec and reconnected mains. Pressed door switch and light switch in. Red light on RHS changed to flashing with no break. Kept door switch and light switch pressed for 5 mins. The ice maker blue arms continued to rotate but there was no water from the black supply tube. I eventually removed the unit, removed the jumper and re-assembled the covers. I did notice a change in the light pattern now. With door switch and light switch pressed in, the red light does not flash

Rgds

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, we are at least making progress now, so its just not putting water in.

Check the fill tube to make sure its not clogged with ice preventing water from going into the ice maker tray. I use a cheater test cord.

Read here: Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

Here's the water inlet valve for your model:
WPW10179146 Valve-Inlt

Let us know what you find.

Jake

DIY987

Premium Member
Hi Jake
Been away a few weeks now tested it. I used a cheater lead as described to the water I left valve attached to the small bore tube. Nothing no noise or activation. So i assume i need to replace the valve and get above model ?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, correct, order the water inlet valve I posted above in post #10.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake

DIY987

Premium Member
Hey Jake
Replaced the water inlet valve and I now have ice YEAH !!!!
They are currently small looking things but it may be because I have the accelerate ice setting on
Thanks for your help

Rgds

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Rgds, glad to hear the new water inlet valve fixed it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake