• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.56922600 Icemaker problem Kenmore refrigerator

LouK

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Picture attached. Wondering if you might have an answer before I take the thing out.

Problem: Water is not running into the icemaker. It's running into the ice bin and pouring out the front.

When I run my finger down the little trough to the icemaker, all I feel at the end is a plastic piece blocking it from the icemaker so of course the water overflows into the bin. Seems the plastic piece in the way is the one holding the on/off bracket that detects ice level. But I could be wrong.

What's going on?

Thanks for your help. I've got a big mess to clean up. Food and shelves all in a big block of ice.

Attachments

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I marked on your pic where the water enters the ice maker from the fill cup. You'll need to remove the ice maker and see what's blocking it. Remove the screw on the bottom and loosen the two on the top then lift it off the top two screws and disconnect the connector. POC
Icemaker.jpg

LouK

Premium Member
1. I cannot get the connector out. What is the trick? But I could swing the icemaker around to look at the back.

2. The end of the filler is maybe ⅛" to ¼" from the side of the fill cup. Is that right? When I stuck my finger back there I didn't notice that little gap, felt like the filler was right up against the side of the cup. The only thing I can imagine is that the ½" or so hole to the icemaker froze over? Other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

IMG_2183.jpgIMG_2185.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lou,

Here's the ice maker for your model below, click the link to it, then you will see a video on how to remove and replace it.

WPW10190965 Icemaker

Once you remove it, go to your sink then slowly run water into the fill cup and see if it leaks.

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
It's working now. Is there any other explanation than that if froze up?

And if not, is this common in this model? Not my refrigerator, not familiar with it's history.

Thanks again.

LouK

Premium Member
It's done several loads and seems to be OK. The tube is clear. I moved the slider a tick away from "Colder".

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
....is this common in this model?
Over time things get out of adjustment. That's probably all it is.

That's such a common style ice maker across brands and models and there's not much to them so if anything goes wrong, it's common. The price has come way down on those ice makers so if anything goes out in the ice maker it's best to just replace it. I use to fix them by replacing the module, thermostat, or ejector rake and guide. It seems like everytime I fixed one it wasn't much longer after that, maybe 2 or 3 months, and something else went out in the ice maker. Now it's usually cheaper to replace it than repair it.