• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.56922600 Kenmore Refrigerator - Ice maker freezes up

LouK

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Thanks again for this forum. Has helped me out of at least three deep holes before.

re: Kenmore side by side

Why would an ice maker freeze up after 9-10 years of trouble free performance in the same spot? Never moved. Now it freezes right up the filler tube/trough between the ice maker and the cabinet. Pull out the hair dryer and it may work a couple of days or weeks but then it freezes again.

Worst is when the little hole that drops water from the trough down into the icemaker freezes before the inlet. Then water pours into the rest of the freezer each cycle until the inlet freezes. Pretty ugly to witness.

Have tried high and low ref/freezer settings. We’ve pulled it out, cleaned the coils and everything within reach, air seems to move OK.

The only thing I’m aware of that changes over time besides dirt is compressor performance. Maybe working harder? Not hard enough? Changing operating cycle? Something else?

Thanks for any help!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Here's the part you need:

rickgburton

Staff member
The armature in the coil is not seating correctly on the diaphragm and it's letting a small amount of water past. That's what is causing the problem.

LouK

Premium Member
I guess I'll find this mounted on the back of the cabinet when I pull it out? Nut driver kinda thing? Any reason to replace tubing I see with it?

Thanks for the help!

rickgburton

Staff member
I guess I'll find this mounted on the back of the cabinet when I pull it out?
Yes
Any reason to replace tubing I see with it?
Look for any signs of mineral deposits. Mineral deposits will coat the inside of the water line.

LouK

Premium Member
So age and/or minerals can cause the thing not to seat solidly? I guess this explains why it seems to work for a while in between freeze ups? You just don't see the little extra water building up?

Thanks for the help!

LouK

Premium Member
This forum is incredibly powerful. Tube was frozen more than ever before.

Still waiting the part but the day after I ordered it the tube had cleared. And it's been making ice just fine for a week now.

Amazing!

LouK

Premium Member
This thread IS NOT FIXED contrary to the email I received. I appreciate that you have many posts to answer but please read the post before marking it fixed.

I made an apparently failed attempt at humor. I was being facetious. I have not yet received the part that I have been told will solve the problem. I will post the result after installing the part and enough time has elapsed to judge the issue fixed.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
LOL, we are very optimistic it will be FIXED when you install it, but if your superstitious(KNOCK ON WOOD) I will remove the FIXED till you actually fix it.:)

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Finally froze up weeks after ordering the part so trying to install it now. Wanted to see how log it would go.

The original has a hollow, round fastener between the two mounting screw holes that appears to hold the valves and inlet brackets together. The new part has only the two screw holes. The thing appears to be threaded and have slots but a screwdriver just slips when I try to turn it.

What tool do I need to remove it? Or do I just drill it out?

Thanks again for the help!

IMG_3729.JPG

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Read the instruction. Better yet watch the video in post 2.

Attachments

• instructionsheet-w10406282-reva.pdf
    491.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

LouK

Premium Member
Did I miss an instruction post? There was nothing in the box but the part and tubing.

Now another problem, when I turned the water back on now there's a hairline leak between the top of the plastic inlet piece and it's bracket (at least as far as I can see). Do I replace it, too? Everything seems tight, didn't mess with it.

If no way to fix, could you kindly give me the link to this part, too?

Thanks.

LouK

Premium Member
Hi Rick,
• I'm talking about the inlet in the foreground. It started leaking a pinhole size spray between the top of the plastic piece and the bracket.
• As for the valves, I see the instructions say just pull the two brackets apart. They felt fastened to me. I tried to get a screwdriver in to pry them apart. Are they just sticky? The thing in the middle doesn't matter?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3729.JPG
    IMG_3729.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 42