• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.56922600 Kenmore Refrigerator - Ice maker freezes up

LouK

Premium Member
Hope I'm being clear. On the right is the new part and the inlet is in the foreground. The pic also shows the difference in the new and the original brackets. There's no (what I thought was a fastener) between the mounting holes.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It started leaking a pinhole size spray between the top of the plastic piece and the bracket.
Replace the valve.
I see the instructions say just pull the two brackets apart.
I don't know what you're referring to. Sorry.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you have to pull those two brackets apart like the video mentions, now some are pretty much STUCK tight together, you will need to force the brackets apart. If you have a shop vise grip and a chisel that would do it.

Why Whirlpool made the valve like this is beyond me.

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
So Jake,
• Just separate them by whatever means necessary?
• Can I fix the inlet leak or do I need a new one? It wasn't leaking initially, started when I unfastened the valve/inlet bracket(s).

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just separate them by whatever means necessary?
Exactly.

Can I fix the inlet leak or do I need a new one? It wasn't leaking initially, started when I unfastened the valve/inlet bracket(s).
Where exactly is it leaking? Take a photo of where its leaking.

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Don't think I can get a pic witht he water on without soaking my phone. It's leaking over the top of the plastic piece. Between the plastic and the bracket. There's a maybe ⅛" or ¹⁄₁₆" gap between the two. The plastic piece seems to slide over a metal tube that has a hole in the side that feeds the plastic elbow. I think I see the hole right near the top of the elbow and that's what's spraying out. Like the elbow isn't all the way up in place.

I'll work on the valve and see if I can fix the inlet. If I can't, can you give me a part# for the inlet (elbow)?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so you need the part where the water supply line from your house connects to it?

Here it is:
WPW10445062 Connector

That's the front part that you have to separator at the bracket.:)

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Thanks.

I've attached two better pics to be sure. In one you can see there's like a 64th gap between the plastic and the metal connector and a small notch in the plastic. It started leaking through that notch but now leaks all around between the plastic and metal.

I tried tightening the four screws. Anything else to try other than replace the part?

IMG_8633.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpeg
    IMG_0022.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 55

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the photos.:)

Nothing else to try, just order and replace it.

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Just curious, is this a common problem? The leaking inlet, I mean.

And FYI, for me the instructions were little help. No way the two brackets would just slide apart like the instructions say. I tried to slide apart, pry apart, nothing moved. Not having whatever tool removes that middle fastener, I got nowhere until I drilled it out.

Thanks again for the help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Trust me Lou, the instructions and the video is the only way to do it, I've replaced about 100 of these the exact same way in the last 30 years for my customers, and yes some are extremely hard to seperate, but with force it will break free.:)

If I was your next door neighbor, You could bring it to my house and I would show you how to do it with brute force.:)

A couple that where on super tight and few choice F bombs did the trick. LOL

The leaking connector valve is extremely rare, but can happen.:)

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Thanks. The thing drilled out in a second. Since the new part didn't have it anyway, I figured it didn't really matter.

By the way, shoulda taken a photo, does the tube up to the icemaker go to the right (looking from the back, white connector) or the left, solenoid?

Part is supposed to be here in a couple of days. Will post what happens and hopefully we can mark this fixed. Hit 100º yesterday, a little tired of fetching ice if you know what I mean.

Stay safe.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Look at the photo in your post #16, you will see the smaller diameter water line goes up to the ice maker, so it came off the old brown solenoid, and it goes on the new red solenoid of your new water inlet valve.

The smaller diameter 1/4" goes up to the ice maker.

The larger diameter 5/16" goes on the left side to your water dispenser which is the green solenoid of the new water inlet valve.

We hit 118 degrees here today. 💦

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lou, yes keep us posted.

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Ready to install new part. Is there an instructions link? Nothing came with the part.

I was thinking this is a protective cap but it doesn't want to pry off. I don't want to bust anything. And the two apparently aligned marks, what's that about?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_8648.jpeg
    IMG_8648.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 28

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That caps just unscrews OFF Lou.

Jake