• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.56922600 Kenmore Refrigerator - Ice maker freezes up

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the video below, at the 7:09 mark it shows how to mount both parts together to the cabinet frame.:)

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
I got it in OK. Notice the redesign. Four clips now hold the plastic solidly to the bracket, where the old one separated and leaked. The old one just used two plastic alignment pins on the side.

How about I get back to you in maybe three weeks on the freeze up issue? Because from the day I ordered the valves, the icemaker worked fine for a couple of weeks before freezing up again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Lou, sounds good.:)

Yes, keep us posted.

Thanks for the donation!

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Glad to do it. Hope it's reasonable. As my mom used to say, we're scratching gravel to save money, as well as minimize contact in this environment, but still want to contribute something for the advice that allows us to do this.

I'm going to a per incident donation from now on. Encourage EVERYONE to do likewise. :eagerness:

Be safe.

LouK

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

It's been three weeks, gotta call it sometime. Seems fixed.

I doubt very many people without experience would have spotted this one. I was thinking air flow, compressor overworked, something like that. Could I ask what a typical charge for replacing that valve might be?

Thanks again for the help. Until next time!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent Lou, glad to hear that.(y)

Usually it would be about $175 to $225 to have a service company come out and replace it.

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Sorry, but it seems to have stopped making ice the past two days.

Before replacing the valve I could see the tube and sometimes the trough it runs to, frozen. Don't see that now. Do see small drops of ice stuck to the plate that holds the ice level detector arm. I think I feel some ice at the end of the trough but I haven't seen any evidence of water running over into the bin. The food below seems dry.

So maybe the tube's frozen back in the cabinet where I can't see? Are we just running the freezer too cold? It was on 4 of 5.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have a freezer thermometer so we can get a real time temperature check? If not, Walmart and Target sells them, get the liquid or digital style.

Yes, 4 of 5 is too cold, kick it back to 3 and see how it does.

Is the water dispenser still working good?

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
Hit it with the hair dryer again and it made a load. Lowered the freezer setting. Not sure what else to do.

LouK

Premium Member
No one seems to have used the water dispenser while the ice stopped, so don't know.

Too many people in this space for a while. The "quick freeze" shelf above the icemaker is now consistently packed. Could air flow have anything to do with this? Does opening or closing the door to ice bin matter?

Will look for thermometer. What should the temperature be?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The "quick freeze" shelf above the icemaker is now consistently packed. Could air flow have anything to do with this? Does opening or closing the door to ice bin matter?
Yes and Yes.:)

Sounds like you need to buy a new upright or chest freezer to give your freezer a little more breathing room.:)

Will look for thermometer. What should the temperature be?
Normal for all freezers is 0-10 degrees. I keep mine closer to 10 degrees, as I hate rock hard ice cream.:)

Jake

LouK

Premium Member
So better bin door closed in any case? OK to keep stuff long term on "quick freeze" shelf, better to keep it clear or no difference?

Valve seems to have helped, don't see frozen trickles down the little water trough anymore. Maybe the rest is about packing it more than before and/or settings?

Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Possibly yes Lou, if it's being packed more than usual.

Jake