• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.56982601 Kenmore Refrigerator stops cooling, doesn't restart until hit

tecweasel

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
this was a give me fridge and it worked for a bit. it started not cooling/running at all. first i replaced the Refrigerator Compressor Start Relay and Capacitor. that didn't fix it. i noticed after that when i would hit the back of the fridge with my fist to jolt it the system would kick on. further investigation led to replacing the Refrigerator Bimetal Defrost Thermostat. once that was replaced the unit kicked on every time it was plugged in. would not before without a jolt. let it run overnight with ice in a container in freezer. sure enough at one point overnight it stopped cooling again and ice had begun to melt. when it runs it works great. today i jolted it on the front of the fridge side and it kicked on again. don't know what elese i can replace. the problem is the system stops cooling when it gets to a point and will not start again unless unplugged or jolted (hit). ANY OTHER IDEAS? thank you.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
The next time it is off and you think it should be running, try tapping (not turning) the freezer control knob. If it starts right up after that, it is usually a sign of 'sticking' contacts in the thermostat which would then normally need to be replaced to correct the condition. They sometimes get that way with age.

LINK > Kenmore 106.56982601 Thermostat

Dan O.

tecweasel

Premium Member
based on the link you sent I think you mean the sliders at the top front of the fridge? there are 2, one for the freezer and one for the fridge side. are these what you recommend tapping? I have watched that video in your link and see it appears to only have the one sensor. Any chance the contacts can be cleaned on my existing one or are they a replace only situation? Thank you for your knowledge and assistance.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
tecweasel said:
you mean the sliders at the top front of the fridge?

Yes. It's the freezer one that does the turning on and off.

tecweasel said:
Any chance the contacts can be cleaned on my existing one or are they a replace only situation?

It is not usually the contacts that are the problem in such a case but the spring mechanism inside the control that moves the contacts. And no, those controls are not designed to be serviced in the field for either reason.

Dan O.

tecweasel

Premium Member
Dan thanks for the help. I have now replaced the thermostat and will see how it does.

For the record the fridge started behaving for a couple days so i put a cup of water in the freezer and froze it. Then a penny on top to see if it had melted and it continued to work for a 3 or 4 days. When the compressor/fan would stop running I could no longer duplicate the symptoms as previously stated/discussed. Eventually one afternoon the entire cup had melted and I decided to replace the thermostat.

The only thing that seemed out of the ordinary when replacing it was there was an accumulation of black dust under the thermostat and around it. I cleaned that prior to installing the new one. Will know in a couple days if this repair did the trick.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
tecweasel said:
The only thing that seemed out of the ordinary when replacing it was there was an accumulation of black dust under the thermostat and around it.

It might have been carbon produced from poor contact. Electrical contacts must open and close quickly or arcing can occur between them. If the control was malfunctioning that 'snap action' may have been reduced resulting in carbon sediment. You might be able to open the defective control to see what its internal components look like.

Dan O.

tecweasel

Premium Member
Dan,

Happy to report the fridge seems to be stable, making ice and keeping temps. New question and please tell me if I need a new thread. I have replaced the main board at the ice maker dispenser twice now. Original one fried. First one I put in the button to change crushed/cubed never worked. pressing the ice dispensing switch made it turn literally 1 time. just replaced the board again. same thing. before putting the board in and sealing it up I connected everything and same issue. turned ice dispenser so i powered it off and completed the install. now i hear the click, light comes on but the dispenser never turns/engages. it did literally once this time. the crushed/cubed button doesn't work either. water works and dispenses. light and lock buttons work. besides just being happy it makes ice and dispenses water any suggestions? thanks! oh and i checked the continuity on both switches on the boards, new and old, and both switches work properly. no signal flows until depressed then signal flows.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
tecweasel said:
New question and please tell me if I need a new thread.

Yes. Each separate topic should be in a separate message thread.

Hopefully someone that has had experience with a similar problem will see it and can make suggestions. I can't. Sorry.

Dan O.