106.56989602 Kenmore Coldspot not cooling

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Help! Kenmore Coldspot S/S Model 106.56989602, refrigerator is not cooling at all. Freezer seems to be intermittent. I cleared the space in front of the fridge vents, and cleared frost from freezer vents. It seemed to help initially, but now back to no cooling.

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
I'm sorry I'm a real novice. I hear a sound which I thought was the fan. It was blowing cold air into the vent at the top of the refrigerator, but doesn't seem to be now. How would I check the fan and the compressor? I apologize for what may be a dumb question. My dear husband used to check these things, but now it's me...yikes

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
You'll need to pull the machine away from the wall and remove the cover over the machine compartment. If the compressor is running (put your hand on top of it and feel for the vibration) the condensor fan motor next to it should also be running. Make sure the condensor coils are clean and not packed with dust. The evaporator fan motor is above the evaporator in the freezer section. Look for any frost on the evaporator cover (freezer section back wall) indicating a possible defrost issue.
REF-01_001.jpg

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
Thanks for the diagram, very helpful. There definitely frost on the evaporator cover, I took the cover off and there was some small ice chunks that fell down. Now I am taking off the back part to check on the compressor stuff.. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks..

rickgburton

Staff member
You have what sounds like a defrost problem. can you take a picture of the evaporator and post it here? Leave the machine plugged in and running. When you remove the evaporator cover check if the fan is working.

rickgburton

Staff member
If the coils are packed with frost, do this: Unplug the refrigerator. Turn the cold control to the OFF position. Wait a minimum of 30 seconds then plug the refrigerator back in. In 3-to 5 seconds the defrost heater will turn on. If it doesn't turn on check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for continuity. If the heater does turn on replace the ADC

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
Wow, the coils under the refrigerator were filthy, dust and dog hair. vacuumed and blew area out with an air compressor to clean. Plugged back in and will check in a while. If I need to order the above part, is it hard to install?

rickgburton

Staff member
No, it's easy. Blocked condensor coils will keep the machine from cooling very well but it won't cause a defrost problem. Keep us posted.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, please take a photo of your evaporator coil and upload it here like Rick Mentioned.:)

Jake

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
here are pictures of the condenser this morning. it was completely clear of ice and moisture yesterday afternoon. I feel vibration when I touch the fan, so I think it's working. I unplugged and plugged back in after 30 seconds, and I checked it after 15+ minutes, still looks the same , no reduction in ice, so I'm assuming the defroster didn't kick in.fridge2.jpgfridge1.jpgfridge3.jpg

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
It made a couple of loads of ice last night night. But hasn't made any since. I have kept the condenser cover off until i have figured out the problems. Does not having it off cause any additional problems?

rickgburton

Staff member
lksdgirl619 said:
...pictures of the condenser...
You mean Evaporator. The cover was left off and that's why there's heavy frost and poor cooling. Since the cover is off now, Follow my instructions exactly the way I tell you.
rickgburton said:
Unplug the refrigerator. Turn the cold control to the OFF position. Wait a minimum of 30 seconds then plug the refrigerator back in.
rickgburton said:
If it doesn't turn on check the defrost heater and defrost thermostat for continuity.
You'll need a DMM that can measure Ω. When you're done checking the heater and thermostat and before you restore power, defrost the evaporator with a hair dryer until all the frost is gone. Install the evaporator cover then restore power. Set the controls on factory settings and wait 24 hours. After 24 hours leave the machine plugged in and running and remove the evap cover to check the frost pattern. You want to see a very, very light coat of white frost on all the coils top to bottom.
lksdgirl619 said:
I feel vibration when I touch the fan, so I think it's working.
Vibration?? Just look and see if the fan blade is turning. Fan blade not spinning, motor not working. Fan blade spinning, motor working.

Last edited:

rickgburton

Staff member
OK sounds good. Let me know if you're still having problems. The reason the cover needs to be installed is the evaporator temperature is much colder than the freezer temperature and can be as low as -30°F. The evaporator fan motor sucks the air through the bottom of the evap cover and across the evaporator coils then pushes that cold air out into the freezer and into the fresh food section through the damper.

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
Got it.
- Okay, I can see that the evaporator fan motor is working.
- I unplugged the refrigerator, turned the cold control to the 'off' position, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. I'm pretty sure the defrost heater didn't come on, as there was no change/melting of the frost on the evaporator.
-I unplugged it again and used a hair dryer to clear all the frost.

Now I have found a DMM in the garage and will need to check for the continuity between the thermostat and the heater. I've never done this before. and am not quite sure how to do it. I am looking at the diagram above and see the the thermostat and the heater.. What next?

rickgburton

Staff member
Set your meter on the lowest Ω scale or the diode check function
diode.jpg
. Your meter should show 1 or open. Hold the tips of the leads together and your meter should indicate 0 or closed. The defrost thermostat needs to be below 50°F to show continuity. Unplug the machine and disconnect the the defrost heater. Put one lead on one wire and the other lead on the other wire. If your meter indicates 1 the heater is bad. Do the same for the defrost thermostat. Make sure it's below 50°F. If you need to put it in a glass of ice water wait a few seconds for it to get cold.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's the video of how to ohm test the defrost thermostat(bi-metal) in the glass of ice water:

Jake

lksdgirl619

Premium Member
I've replaced the defrost thermostat and the defrost heater. Now I want to replace the Electronic Control Board. I already received the part, but do you have a video showing how to replace it?