• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.58976701 Kenmore elite fridge the ice maker stopped working but still get water at dispenser would this still indicate a bad water inlet valve?

need help

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
I have a kenmore elite fridge,
the ice maker stopped working but I still get water at dispenser, would this still indicate a water inlet valve, or should I just replace the icemaker
I also have water that builds up at the bottom the freezer, any help would be appreciated

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

It sounds like the water inlet valve may be bad, did you also make sure there was no ice blockage where the water comes in from the black rubber fill tube that comes down from the freezer ceiling into the ice maker?

You can use a cheater test cord(or old lamp cord) to see if your water inlet valve is working, read here: Testing ice maker water supply at the solenoid

OR

Remove the electrical connector from the water inlet valve and put your meter leads in it, then when the ice maker cycles watch your meter to look for 120 volts towards the end of the ice maker cycle.

If you see 120 volts for about 5 seconds or so, then we know the ice maker is fine and that just leaves the water inlet valve as bad part.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order here:
Water Inlet Valve W10408179

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, there is not.

Jake

need help

Premium Member
good day

question on a kenmore 10658976701 fridge can the water inlet valve still send water to the dispenser BUT NOT the ice maker

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, because its a DUAL SOLENOID water inlet valve.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
For the water/ice on the freezer floor that's usually caused by your drain hole/drain line being clogged up.

Watch this video below(It shows you how to replace the evaporator fan motor) BUT, it ALSO shows you how to remove the back panel inside the freezer to get access to that drain hole, then drain hole is underneath the evaporator coil in the metal drain trough.

do you know if there is a video to show how to remove the black rubber fill tube
on the ice maker
Yes, pull the refrigerator out from the wall then you will see a "john guest" union connector, just remove the top connection on that, its a snap ring connector, push in on the ring while at the same time pulling the plastic water line out.

Then blow through the top portion of it, which goes directly to your ice maker, if you can blow through it then its clear.:)

Jake

need help

Premium Member
Jake

I looked for the john guest union as you said
but there are none I can see please advise

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 30

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, on your model someone replaced it with that copper union in your 1st photo, Just unscrew it from there and blow into the top plastic water line tubing that goes into the top of the refrigerator.

Jake

need help

Premium Member
thanks
is the attached photo the black tube you are speaking of ?
and I don't want to break it
what is the best way to remove it ? if it is the correct hose
one other question is the photo of the back of the fridge with the cardboard cover on the bottom right where the water inlet valve is?

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 31
  • unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 29

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
In your first picture, Disconnect the water line from the brass union. Blow thru the water line going to the ice maker and air should come out the black nipple in your second picture. If you can’t blow thru it it’s blocked with ice. If you need to replace it or remove it, first remove the ice maker. Use a small screwdriver to pry the black nipple out of the hole then pull the nipple and waterline out. Reverse the steps to install it.

need help

Premium Member
106.58976701 Brand Sears Kenmore

question, when I remove the panel on the back of the inside of the freezer
what is the best way to check & clean the drain ?
appreciate it

rickgburton

Staff member
Remove the shelves in the freezer and remove the lower part of the back wall. The evaporator sits in a defrost pan and the drain hole is below the evap in the center.

rickgburton

Staff member
The bottom of the back panel is even with the drain trough. Use a good flashlight and you can see the drain hole without the need to remove the back wall. Is there any ice in the drain trough or drain hole? If the drain gets blocked, ice builds inside the trough, then water starts collecting on the freezer floor. If there's no ice in the drain, don't fix it. LOL

need help

Premium Member
I can see the drain hole and tray clearly, they appear to be clean,
but I can see the ice seems to be building underneath the the aluminum tray,
wha too you think?

Attachments

• IMG_2415.jpg
    IMG_2415.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 16

rickgburton

Staff member
Must not be sealing against the drain hole. What happened to it? It looks all bent up.