• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.58976701 Kenmore elite fridge the ice maker stopped working but still get water at dispenser would this still indicate a bad water inlet valve?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Part #2217194 has been discontinued and no longer available. Take the old one out and fix it. Where's the water under it coming from?
Must not be sealing against the drain hole.

need help

Premium Member
any ideas what to do from here
is there a video or any help you can give in removing it to straighten it
and what are you thoughts on the water
it seem to take 4-5 days to form .25" thick ice pad

rickgburton

Staff member
OK my friend, I'll do everything I can to try and help you but you gotta do your part. I'll try to explain it with more details and see if that helps. If you have an ice maker installed, turn it off. That will eliminate the water coming from the ice maker. The only other place it can come from is when the machine starts a defrost cycle. The heater turns on and melts all the frost off the evaporator coils. The water drips into the drain trough and runs out the drain hole to the drain pan under the machine. That means the water is either leaking through a hole in the defrost pan or from around the drain hole or dripping behind the defrost pan. You'll need to remove the evaporator cover to check it.

In the last 35+ years, I've never had to replace a defrost pan before. Here's a picture of the parts:

DRAIN.jpg

need help

Premium Member
thanks Rick, I have not been able to check it yet as to had surgery
but I did discover it seems to stay bone dry for appx 3 days then fills the bottom with water then freezes
(is that maybe because it is originating with the defrost cycle?)
in the meantime I will take the cover off and try to view
appreciate it

rickgburton

Staff member
If you take the evaporator cover off, the machine will not cool properly. Check the drain line is not blocked. Look where the drain line comes out by the compressor.