• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.59217990 Kenmore Coldspot Freezer not working

njose17

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi. My freezer seems to have stopped working. While the inside of the freezer is still cold (unless that's just residual cold air), it's not cold enough to keep food from defrosting and ice melting. In short, it does not reach freezing point. I don't know if this is a compressor problem or (hopefully) something much simpler that a non-professional repair tech can do as a DIY project. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Do you hear the fan running in the freezer when you open the freezer door?

If so then its fine, then you'll need to check for is frost build-up on the back panel inside the freezer, better yet is to remove the back panel in the freezer to look at the evaporator coil directly for frost build-up of lack of frost.

Here's the defrost thermostat for your model below and the video on how to remove the back panel to check the evaporator coil. Don't order it yet till you check the evaporator coil for frost build-up or lack of frost. Normal frost pattern would be just a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils.

Defrost Thermostat W10225581

[video=youtube;U950xyscTMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U950xyscTMg[/video]

Let us know what you find.

Jake

njose17

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

As always, thanks for your reply.

First, I can hear the fan when I open the freezer door. In fact, I saw it running when I removed the back panel (if that's the fan you're talking about). Secondly, there is no frost build up in the evaporator coil - any part of the coil. The coil is just nice and silver as if it were new and/or unused. Will the defrost thermostat fix this problem? I've also noticed that the coldness of the fridge part has noticeably gone down. Is due to the same problem? Lastly, and this is probably purely coincidental, the light bulb in the freezer also went out. I just wanted to mention it just in case it's a symptom of something else with both the defrost thermostat and light bulb failing at the same time.

Kindly let me know if I should go ahead and order the defrost thermostat. Thanks again for all your help Jake!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its not the defrost thermostat that's bad if there was no frost build-up.

Did you notice a thin layer of frost on the evaporator coil? Or no frost at all? Was the compressor running in the back of your refrigerator when you checked the evaporator coil?

You'll need to pull your refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel to see if the compressor is running, AND also see if the condenser fan motor is running too, that sits next to the compressor.

Jake

njose17

Premium Member
There wasn't any frost at all. The coils did not feel cold to the touch as well (other than the regular coolness of metal).

As far as I could tell the compressor was running. I checked on it before I checked the evaporator coil. All I did was touch it and it was warm. Other than that, I'm not really sure how to gauge if the compressor is working or not. The fan closest to it, which I'm assuming is the condenser fan, is working too.

Let me know what you think. Thanks again!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, so if the compressor and condenser fan was running but no frost on your evaporator coil, that indicates a sealed system/compressor issue, it would cost more to have repaired than its worth.

New refrigerator time.:)

Jake

njose17

Premium Member
That's what I was afraid of. As always, thanks so much for your help Jake! Your generous expertise and advise are almost very much appreciated!

ps. Am I able to ask you which brands, based on your experience, you would recommend most based on cost, maintenance and upkeep over time, etc.?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I meant "Your generous expertise and advise are ALWAYS very much appreciated!"
LOL, no worries I've done the same thing too.:)

based on your experience, you would recommend most based on cost, maintenance and upkeep over time, etc.?
I have owned Whirlpool and Maytag all my life, I'm 50 years old now, and never had any of them break down at all.

In fact when I moved to Arizona in January 2014 I needed a new refrigerator for the house I bought here, so I went to Sears in Buckeye, AZ and bought this one: Kenmore 25.4 cu. ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator - White

Its made by Whirlpool!

Jake

njose17

Premium Member
I'm looking to get a Frigidaire 25.6 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side as it seems to be getting good reviews from different sites. I hope that's a good choice. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, Frigidaire is good.:)

Jake