FIXED 106.59297992 Kenmore Side by Side Air Diffuser

Status
Not open for further replies.

otown

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The problem I have is that the refrigerator side of the fridge wasn't cooling. There was no airflow from the Air Diffuser so I stuck a stick in it to keep it open and that solved the problem....temporarily. I can replace the air diffuser but how do I know whether the problem is with the Air Diffuser or the thermostat which regulates it. I believe the thermostat is behind where the dial knob is for the fridge. Model is 106.59297992. It is 4-5 years old.

Thanks....

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
otown wrote:
how do I know whether the problem is with the Air Diffuser or the thermostat which regulates it.
There should be a 'tech sheet' with your fridge's wiring diagram which should have some test procedures. Although not for your exact model, the tech sheet at the following link is for a fridge model which uses the same air diffuser baffle as your model does so the diagnostic procedures for the diffuser listed there may be similar for yours. BTW. Your fridge was made for Sears by Whirlpool

LINK > Sample Refrigerator 'Tech Sheet'

The rest of the information contained in that tech sheet may not be applicable to your model.

BTW. You can see an actual picture of the replacement air diffuser assembly for your refrigerator model at this link:

LINK > Replacement for Air Diffuser Assembly # 2161467

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
The Appliance Information Site
=D~~~~~~

kenmort

Premium Member
I have a Kenmore Elite (made by Whirlpool) 106.50792002 and the diffuser is acting up on it too. Freezer works great, refer has been slowly getting warmer and warmer. I looked into the diffuser as I felt no substaintial cold air coming from it with the thermostat set all the way to coldest. After taking the part out, it seems that there is ice built up in it. I am going to let it thaw and see if that is what was causing it to not open.

kenmort

Premium Member
It is now defrosted but still will not open or close, I do not hear the motor on the thing trying to do anything either.

My question now would be is it a safe bet to order the diffuser and go with that? or do you think the control of it is bad too if I do not hear the motor 'trying' at all?

thanks for the assistance here.

Mort

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
kenmort wrote:
would be is it a safe bet to order the diffuser and go with that? or do you think the control of it is bad too if I do not hear the motor 'trying' at all?
I don't know how you're go about it but it may be able to be tested to see if it was getting power or not. If it WAS getting power but not actuating, it would likely be defective. If it wasn't even getting power, the control system might be suspect.

BTW. The diffuser used on your model (see the following link) is the same one the other person's was substituted to. It looks like it might be a popular item?

LINK > Kenmore 106.50792002 Air Diffuser Asm. # 2209751

JFYI

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~

kenmort

Premium Member
I tried the new diffuser and that does not work either. Must be the control signal going to it. Any suggestionson what part might need to be looked at next? The thermostat or the control board etc.?

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
kenmort wrote:
Must be the control signal [NOT] going to it. Any suggestionson what part might need to be looked at next? The thermostat or the control board etc.?
I'm afraid I don't have a wiring schematic for your model fridge to see how the damper is controlled. Someone will have to check the wiring diagram on the appliance to see what's in the circuit that could be stopping the power supply to the damper.

Dan O.
Appliance411.com
=D~~~~~~

jiewu3

Premium Member
My kenmore coldspot 106.52299100 fridge also has similar problem: the freezer side works great, but the refrigerator side is warm, feels like at room temperature. I googled and found this forum. After reading some posts, I got some idea where might be the problem. I looked inside the air diffuser and it was completely blocked by ice. I unplug the fridge and melted the ice with a hair dry.

I also dismantled the freezer side and made sure that the channel that cold air goes through from freezer to refrigerator had no blockage. I thought I had fixed the problem. But, after I plugged in power, I did not feel any air flow from the air diffuser. So I sticked a small driver into the air diffuser to force it open. I felt minimus air flow. I left it like that the whole night and this morning the refrigerator side was still warm. My question is whether there is a fan somewhere that blows cold air from freezer into refrigerator through air diffuser openings? Is it what is called evaporator fan? Where is it located and why is it not blowing air? Thanks.

Jay

kenmort

Premium Member
The fan is in the freezer side (on my unit) and blows air up the back of the freezer section via a channel created by plastic ducting. it is then channeled into the upper right corner of the freezer, through a small opening and into the diffuser. On my unit, the fridge thermostat controls the opening and closing of the diffuser as the fridge side requires cooling.

If you feel any air blowing in the back of your freezer the fan is probably ok. There is no seperate fan for the air going to the fridge side, just the opening and closing of the diffuser to route air into that area.

On my unit, it turns out the fridge side thermostat went bad so I replaced it and the diffuser and all is working ok now.

jiewu3

Premium Member
In the freezer side, I am sure cold air is move upward. So I guess the fan is running ok. But even I put a screw drive in the air diffuser to force it open, I can not feel any significant air flow.why is that?

Thanks.

Jay

kenmort

Premium Member
probably ice building up in the duct running to it. mine had ice build up due to the fact [I assume] that it was not opening and letting the air flow to the fridge. I would take the duct work apart in the freezer section and look in there for evidence of that.

jiewu3

Premium Member
I did check the duct and it is clear. What else might be the problem?

Thanks,

Jie

kenmort

Premium Member
I am definitely not an 'expert' on this but the next approach I would take if you know the fan is working and the duct is clear is to remove the diffuser and check it closely to see what may be blocking the air.

How far open do you think you are getting it with whatever you are jamming in there. Could be that you are not opening it up enough.

jiewu3

Premium Member
I was trying to figure out why there was no cold air flowing through the air diffuser and had an interesting finding: once I open the freezer door, cold air started flowing through. But I could not find what switched it on. Does anyone know?

kenmort

Premium Member
well there is a "thermostat" control for the freezer and one for the fridge. could be when you opened the freezer it turned on the compressor to cool the freezer side and because you have forced the diffuser open air started to flow. Seems by the schematic of your unit that it does not have conventional thermostats like my unit did. It appears to have one main control board which runs for $196.49 and has everything on it! The diffuser itself is $59.99. In my case, my thermostat was bad on the fridge side and it was only $60 or so to replace. In your case you cannot just replace one thermostat so you have to spend $200 to try that option.

I would go back to the beginning, set all your controls to coldest, shut the door a few min and see if air is flowing without the diffuser pried open by anything. if no air is flowing, my first try would be the diffuser for $60. if that does not fix it then try the control board for the $200 - ouch! Good luck.

kenmort

Premium Member
go to sears.com and click on "Customer Service" along the top of the page. I then went to "Parts" and put your model # (without the ".") at the top-left where it says "Search by model #".

Mad Mac

Appliance Tech
Moorpark (via Motherwell, Scotland), California, U
jiewu3 wrote:
I was trying to figure out why there was no cold air flowing through the air diffuser and had an interesting finding: once I open the freezer door, cold air started flowing through. But I could not find what switched it on. Does anyone know?
Generally a sign of a blocked return air duct. What happened is that air wasn't getting back into the freezer, but you let it in when you opened the door, so it started flowing again.

In your case, you'll find iton the left wall of the refrigerator compartment, about 2/3 of the way down. Look for a little plastic grille about the size of a cigarette packet. I used to run into this a lot, people would put a loaf of bread near the duct and the plastic wrapper would block it off. If this isn't the case, tap lightly on the wall near the duct, you may hear some ice breaking up. Pour a little warm water down it (it WILL be messy!!!) to clear any ice build up.

Prevention - wrap/cover any high moisture foods, the moisture gets into the duct and freezes. Also keep the duct area clear. The instructions supplied with the fridge are generally not clear on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.