• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.71192100 Kenmore ColdSpot Refrigerator Not Cooling

Qwerty

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hi Folks.

I picked up an old Kenmore ColdSpot to use as a beer fridge. After some serious cleaning, I plugged it in to find it's not cooling. I was looking at the back and noticed this wire that looks like it got pinched off.
Can anyone help me with what it's for and where it goes?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20211008_121318.jpg
    20211008_121318.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 23

Qwerty

Premium Member
Upon further review...it appears to be cooling today. I may have an intermittent problem to track down there.

However, I'd still apreciate input on the broken wire. It's coming out of the plug where the power cord comes in. The green/light green wires looks like a ground, and the red and white wires run to the compressor starter and fan. I can't see where the light brown wire used to go.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I can't locate the wiring diagram for this old model, and without the wiring diagram its impossible to know where that broken wire goes, sorry.

Jake

Qwerty

Premium Member
OK. Thank you for checking, Jake.

The freezer's getting down to 0 degrees. I get 120 v at the fan, but the fan doesn't spin. Once I swap that fan motor, I think I'll be good for cooling in the fridge. Maybe that wire has something to do with the ice maker, which I don't plan to use.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I get 120 v at the fan, but the fan doesn't spin.
Which fan? The evaporator freezer fan motor? Or the condenser fan motor next to the compressor?

The evaporator freezer fan motor WP4389142 has been discontinued:

482731 is a perfect fit:

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wonderful.:)

Jake

Qwerty

Premium Member
BTW - I noticed this afternoon that the plug for the ice maker has the same light brown colored wire. I can't see where it goes up the bottom of the fridge, though. I guess if I cared more I could take the back off. :)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, its up to you.

Jake

Qwerty

Premium Member
A couple more questions.

Do you know which terminal which wire goes to (or does it matter)? The terminals are not marked. I know in AC, red is usually hot, and white is return.
Should the fan blow towards the back of the refrigerator? I watched a video of a replacement that looks exactly like mine, and the new fan spun counter-clockwise, blow toward the back.

Thanks,
Mike

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you know which terminal which wire goes to (or does it matter)? The terminals are not marked. I know in AC, red is usually hot, and white is return.
It doesn't matter on AC.

The fan should blow air towards the front if I remember correctly, let me ask Rick.:)

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
The tan wire goes to the water valve for the ice maker. You can cut it off. Look at the top of the old motor and see what side the copper wires are on. They should be on the same side on the new motor.
motor.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks Rick!

Jake