• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.7689411 Refrigerator will not cool. No Defrost Timer.

GAVolunteer

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
40 year old Kenmore Refrigerator will cool and get temperature down to 30 degrees or cooler. Compressor works. Compressor fan works. Then hours later the refrigerator will not cool and the temperature will eventually rise to 40 - 50 degrees. At first I thought it was the Refrigerator cold control thermostat. I ran a test by disconnecting the thermostat and putting a jump wire between the two wires that connect to the thermostat. When I did, the compressor, compressor fan and fan inside the refrigerator do not come on. I then tested the defrost thermostat. No continuity when warm and continuity when cold, which indicates the defrost thermostat is good. I then thought the defrost timer was stuck in defrost mode. What is perplexing is that I cannot find a defrost timer on this model anywhere. Normally it is somewhere in the refrigerator compartment, but I cannot find one. I've looked underneath and behind the fridge. Nothing. I've checked the parts list and I cannot find one listed.

When I removed the panel in the freezer to remove the defrost thermostat, there was no ice. The heating element was not on.

I've looked at getting a new Cold Control Thermostat, but the OEM for this model cost $60 - $80 and is smaller than newer, less expensive ones which will not fit the metal bracket that holds the thermostat. Plus, I'm not sure a new thermostat will fix the problem since jumping the thermostat wires did not kick in the compressor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Kenore Refrigerator - 4.jpg
    Kenore Refrigerator - 4.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Kenore Refrigerator - 5.jpg
    Kenore Refrigerator - 5.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Kenore Refrigerator - 6.jpg
    Kenore Refrigerator - 6.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Kenore Refrigerator - 1.jpg
    Kenore Refrigerator - 1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Kenore Refrigerator - 2.jpg
    Kenore Refrigerator - 2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 26

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
On that model the defrost timer is part of the ice maker. None of the parts are available any longer. If you still have a copy of your wiring diagram I might be able to tell you how to wire a regular defrost timer in.

GAVolunteer

Premium Member
Thanks for the info. You solved the mystery of the defrost timer. This is a fridge we keep in the garage for extra things. I have a hard time "giving up" on fixing things. But I think it is time to "let this 40 year old fridge go" and find something to replace it. I appreciate the help!

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Actually there was a universal timer kit that would work in place of the icemaker/timer component (# 106.8560?). The kit does away with the icemaker portion but at least allows the refrigerator to continue to operate by emulating the defrost functions. It's plug 'n' play too!

17s-l1600.jpg

There are some 'old stock' timer kits still available at this link. They were sold by 2 different universal parts companies over the years, hence the slightly different part numbers (SA1005,GA1005).

LINK > Icemaker/Defrost Timer Replacement Kit

The Supco ones would be the newest, Gemline is the older brand although they all look like NOS.

JFYI

Dan O.

Last edited:

GAVolunteer

Premium Member
Dan

Thanks for the great info. Based upon what Rick had told me earlier, I did a search on defrost timers inside ice makers and found the following link: Whirlpool Ice maker and Defrost Timer. In that forum there was a link to a Refrigerator and Ice Maker Repair Manual. Chapters 4 and 5 have great diagrams on the combination ice maker and defrost timer. I've attached a few pages from the manual for anyone that might be interested.

Based upon the info in Chapter 5, I rotated the gears manually one full turn, plugged the ice maker back in and compressor started. After about 10 minutes the gear stopped at the same point before I turned it. I put the screw drive on the gear. When I barely moved the gear, fridge started again. It has now been running about 2 hours. I expect it will stop again at the same point as earlier - I'm guessing in about 6 hours if it has an 8 hour cycle.

Rather than try to fix the ice maker, I bought one of the replacement kits on eBay.

Thanks for all of the help!!

Attachments

• Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -5.jpg
    Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -5.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -4.jpg
    Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -2.jpg
    Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Whirlpool Icemaker with Defrost Timer -1.jpg