• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED 106.77297790 Kenmore Refrigerator - Water valve test is confusing me, big time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdestuck

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
So my just recently the icemaker on my Kenmore fridge quit making ice. Model 106.77297790. Initially I pulled off the water valve and checked it with the multimeter. Reading was 322 ohms so this showed it should be operational. So I purchased the icemaker inside the freezer and replaced it. After replacing I still have the same problem. No ice. So here is what I’ve done since.

1. Checked water coming into valve. All good.
2. Took valve to shop, hooked 110v to leads and was able to blow through it.
3. I’m able to blow through tubing which leads to ice maker.
4. Tested and have voltage from fridge harness to water valve when I use jumper to cycle ice maker. Approximately 2:30 minutes into cycle.
5. Kept valve hooked to water supply, disconnected plastic hose to ice maker, hooked 110v directly to terminals and no water comes through valve. I believe I could feel a slight vibration when I hooked 110 to valve.

So I’m completely stumped. Can a valve test ok with ohms yet still not let water through. Tks for any insight on this.

I just pulled this valve off once again to check it with my cheater 110 cord. Without water being hooked up to the inlet side I can hear a distinct click when I energize it. I can’t hear this click when I have the house water supply hooked into the valve. Is it possible that the pressure from the water keeps the valve from pulling open inside when it’s hooked to house pressure? When energized, I can blow through it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the water inlet valve can ohm test good but still fail mechanically.

Keep the water supply hooked up to your water inlet valve and use the test cord and apply 120 volts to it and see if it fills the ice maker with water, if not, remove the plastic water line tubing underneath the water inlet valve and apply 120 volts to it with your water supply still on and see if water comes out of it directly, if not then its bad.

Here's the water inlet valve for your model you can order here:
WP2315576 Water Inlet Valve

Jake

Cdestuck

Premium Member
Tks for your info on testing this further. A bit baffling and glad to hear you say that it can test ok yet still not be totally operational. Will test further tonight or tomorrow. Tks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, yes let us know how it goes.

Jake

Cdestuck

Premium Member
Sorry I just discovered I hadn’t ended this. I did order and install the water valve at the rear of the fridge. Bingo, that was it and all is working well. Appreciated your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear the new water inlet valve fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.