• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

106.89593100 Kenmore Standalone Ice Maker- beeping and control panel buttons unresponsive

KRSN

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Our Kenmore Elite 106.89593100 free standing ice maker is behaving strangely. Several days ago, my wife said the unit was beeping every few minutes. To me, it sounded like the door ajar sensor but the door was closed. In order to "reset" the unit, I unplugged it, waited and plugged it back in. After plugging it back in, the pump ran briefly as it always does but the front bin light was not illuminated and panel buttons were unresponsive. The only anomaly I noted was that the keypad area was "warm".

Thinking that maybe I did not leave it unplugged long enough to "reset" the control board, I unplugged the unit and it sat without power overnight. When I went back to it in the morning, when I opened the door, the bin light came on, I pressed the ON button and the unit began to operate. It made ice for about 24 hours like it always has.

When I awoke this morning to check it, the unit was not running. I opened the door to find a full bin of ice (that had not melted at all so it was producing ice recently) however the bin light did NOT turn on and the keypad was once again unresponsive.

I have read the other entries about this unit (including Kitchenaid and Whirlpool versions) and some point me to replacing the Transformer, other suggest the Control Board. Happy to do either but would love some guidance on where to begin looking for the fault given the odd behavior of being dead, coming back to life then going dead again...
Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Here's our main thread on this problem:
Read my post #6 about testing the transformer, bigbuck posted the tech. data sheet and service manual for this model in post #7.

Jake

KRSN

Premium Member
Thanks for pointing me back to this post. This seemed like a different problem than mine given mine will produce ice for about a day after being unplugged and reset. Was able to get this to happen again yesterday. Unplugged, waited, plugged in and it came back on and has been running/producing ice for 24 hours+ . Will try to test the Transformer today (once I harvest a few bags of ice) Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, keep us posted.

Jake

KRSN

Premium Member
So I posted to this forum in May 2020 and received great advice that I did not need to take action on. after the last post/reply session, the Icemaker came back to life and worked for about a month without any trouble. This week it went totally dead. no lights, no beeping. Just dead. So this morning I busted out the tech data sheet and wiring diagram to diagnose it. I was convinced based on the kind advice from Jake that it was going to be my transformer. I disassembled my unit and exposed the transformer and I found no voltage coming IN to the transformer. Trying to find the root cause I opened up the rear panel and checked for voltage coming from the wall to the pump assembly. 120 volts was present (which I knew would be the case since the pump actually turned on when I plugged in) then I checked the integrated outlet on the Pump Assembly (the outlet where you plug in the power cord for the ice maker itself) and there was no voltage. I tried three different voltage testers and none registered any power. So here are my questions:

1. Is there a breaker, fuse or GFI of sorts on the Beckett Pump that I don't see?
2. Is there a service manual that I can find for the pump assembly to diagnose why there is no power coming out of the outlet? I have searched and find very little information about the pump or pump assembly online.
3. Is there any harm in plugging in the ice maker cord to the wall and plugging the pump to the other outlet at the wall and powering them independently or is there some "fail safe" or "override" integrated with the outlet on the pump that prevents the icemaker from making ice if there's a failure with the pump?
4. Anything else I should be thinking about.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kevin

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Kevin,

When I worked for Sears they never had us go through training on these standalone ice makers, why I don't know, so I know nothing about fixing these except for what the service manual says to do.

Bigbuck posted the service manual in post #7 in that thread I linked you to above. That's all the information I have, sorry.

If I had training on these and worked on them day in and day out I could answer all those questions above.

Jake

KRSN

Premium Member
I appreciate the response. Regretfully the Service Manual does not go into detail about the pump kit or any "logic" that it may have. Trying to find a service manual for the pump assembly. I have also contacted Beckett Corp to see if they have anything. If any of this yields value I will post back to the forum in case anyone else has this problem. Thanks again.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake