110.15842400 Kenmore washer stopped spinning, burnt smell

Sharptack

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hey Jake, I have a topload Kenmore Series 80 washer about 10 years old (it came with the house, so a guess) that stopped spinning, but smells like something burning...and I don't think it has a belt. I looked at the posts and there seemed to be several opinions: pump, coupler, switch, etc. What in your expert opinion shouid be my next step? (I am a relative novice and can't check capacitance.) Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Sharptack,

We would need your model number first, the model number tag is located under the lid.

Does it drain all the water out first, then won't spin? When it tries to spin is there any humming sound you hear from the motor?

Jake

Sharptack

Premium Member
Thanks for your prompt response, Jake! The model number is 110.15842400 and yes, it drained the water first and then would not spin. We could hear noise from the motor and then again smell the "burning" odor.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Lets first check your motor coupler and see if its worn out or the plastic fingers on it have broken.

Here's the motor coupling for your model:
Motor Coupling 285753A

There is a Video included in part link, that shows you how to access/replace it.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Sharptack

Premium Member
Well Jake,
I finally got the motor off and the coupler and plastic tri-fingers look to be in good condition.
The sound dampener ring appears to be twisted and slid down a bit; but, I don't think that is related to my issue.
Any other ideas? (Hoping you won't say, "Time for a new washer!"...LoL

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

While the motor is off, Can you turn the transmission shaft with the coupler by hand? If not the transmission is locked. Try to turn it both ways.

Here's the transmission for your model:
Transmission 3360629

Video Included in part link.

Jake

Sharptack

Premium Member
Hello Jake,
Yes, the transmission can be turned by hand. Bypassed the lid switch it started spinning. Then tried it several more times at every spin position on the timer dial and it wouldn't spin again. So, i am thinking electrical malfunction or timer.....but, why oh why was the motor running and tub not spinning and smelling burnt...if lid switch was bad it should be dead stop on spin originally? :(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, when you tried it at every spin position on the timer dial again and it wouldn't spin, was the motor running or not?

Jake

Sharptack

Premium Member
No, motor was not running except for the first time i tried it after bypassing the lid switch when it did spin. But, it would fill with water if i let it continue, so there is that function that works.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm not understanding, it would help if I could see what its doing. If you can please make a video of what its doing with your iphone or android then upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

Thanks,

Jake

Sharptack

Premium Member
Hello Jake,

We finally got the thing running again. And we "guess" this is what happened...during the rinse-spin cycle the clothes became unbalanced and caused the spining tub to "bind." The motor continued to try to run and that caused the burnt smell. After removing the clothes the washer would not spin because it was still in a bind. The same when the lid switch was bypassed even though it tried to once. Once the shell was removed and things were manhandled and the motor was removed to look at the coupler and everything was put back together it still did not spin, so we bypassed the lid switch a second time and it worked! So many hours/days were spent in the diagnosis and repair, scrapes and scratches from trying to get the motor back on, etc., that we are just going to tape up the bypass wire and try not to stick our hand in the washer while it is spinning.

AND, I want to thank you so much for your help...I have read your repair suggestions on other appliances over the past couple of years and your diagnosis skills are second to none!

Two thumbs up!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Sharptack, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the nice compliments too.:)

Jake