• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20022014 Kenmore washer melted splutch

ChrisDollins

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Last week my wife told me the washer was clicking and not agitating. The machine was trying to agitate, but barely moving the agitator and would make a single click noise when it would change direction. Looked under the machine and found the upper collar on the splutch drum (?) had melted and was allowing it to stay engaged to the pulley instead of being lifted up by the cam ring. So the whole drum would spin instead of just the agitator. Figured simple fix, ordered one up and replaced it. Worked fine, all is well. Except yesterday when I walked past it, I noticed the machine sounded different again. Lifted the lid just enough to notice it was doing the same thing again. Leaned the machine back and found the new splutch was melted in the same way. Almost as if it was spinning too fast inside of the cam ring and melted the splutch drum collar off. Again allowing it to stay engaged to the pulley and spin the drum. I have looked around online and have yet to find anyone mention their splutch melting. Any ideas? Thank you in advance. When I get home, I will post pictures of what the melted splutches look like.

Chris

ChrisDollins

Premium Member
Quick video showing agitation. The way it melted, it is letting the cam ring operate it, albeit not very well. But it will let it agitate, at least for the moment. I also found out that my mother-in-law has been pouring softener down the center, in with the "dogs" because that's where she thought it went. No idea if it has hurt anything, but figure I should mention it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Chris,

Yes, your transmission has gone bad.

Here's the transmission for your model:
W11255272 Gearcase

This guy was having the same issue below, his Maytag uses the exact same transmission as your Kenmore does.

Jake

ChrisDollins

Premium Member
Ok, so something in that transmission is making the drum spin the opposite way the agitator is. And this is happening while the splutch drum is being help up by the cam ring, under pressure from the spring. So that is what is melting the splutch. Is that what you're thinking also?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Exactly right!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Chris, let us know how it goes if you decide to fix it.:)

Jake