• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20642991 Help diagnose washing machine video.. bad clutch?

ariff390

Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
Hello Everyone..
I am hoping somebody might be able to help me diagnose what is going on with our old Kenmore washer. It is about 20 years old and has been a great washer never really had any trouble with it till now. I have had to replace the safety switch which is currently bypassed in this video to help troubleshoot. And that's about all I have had to do to it. I'd like to fix it if possible. I did take the motor out last night to inspect the coupler and the plastic couplers and rubber bushing appear to be in good condition. Could anyone take a look at this video and let me know what you think the problem is? I am sure folks with more experience than I have could probably tell right away what is causing this problem. The washer will run through the wash cycle then when it hits the spin cycle it will fail to spin well and I can smell a burning electronic type smell. It will then shut off I am assuming due to thermal protection of some sort. We then have to remove the soaking wet clothes and suck the water out with a shop vac. Thanks in advance for any assistance.. I am pretty handy and have no problems trying to fix this myself with some assistance from those of you here that are more knowledgeable about these things on this forum.. Here is a link to the video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N7A6DjpjYk5jPGZm6

20200314_235213.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Are you getting that electrical smell on every spin cycle? Sounds like a bad motor.

To verify its the motor, you can remove the motor and lay it on the floor with the electrical connector still attached and start the agitate cycle and see if the motor starts running by itself without making that noise. Also touch the outside of the motor to see if its SUPER HOT after it shuts down, if so your motor is bad.

When you click the link to the motor below, there is a video there to show you how to remove it, for others following your thread.:)

Here's the motor for your model:
WP661600 Direct Drive Washer Motor

It's always best to replace the motor capacitor when you replace the motor.

Here's the motor capacitor for your model:
WP8572717 Capacitor

Let us know.

Jake

Last edited: