FIXED 110.20712990 Clicking at start of spin cycle.

theripster

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
When I run this washer it seems to be fine in the wash cycle, but when it goes into the spin cycle it starts clicking as it is starting to spin up. After it gets going, the clicking stops. I've looked at other posts trying to find the same problem, but have not managed to find anything identical. As always, any help given is greatly appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It could be the motor, motor switch, or capacitor.

Either the centrifugal mechanism in the motor is not working or the motor switch is bad. The start winding in the motor is only meant to have power applied for the 1-2 seconds it takes to start the motor and then it is switched out of circuit by the centrifugal mechanism activating the motor switch. If it doesn't disconnect the start winding, it will burn up the capacitor and can damage the winding. You can test the switch and see if it's bad.

If the washer works ok on slow speed, then the centrifugal mechanism in the motor is working. Check continuity between the two outermost terminals of the switch. With the switch in place, it should read as a dead short. Pulling the switch away from the motor releases the switch lever arm and now the reading should be an open circuit.

Here's the motor switch for your model:
Manufacturer's Number: WP8529896

Here's the motor for your model:
Motor WP3352287

Here's the motor capacitor for your model:
WP8572720 Capacitor

Here's the video to test the capacitor: Capacitor Testing

Let us know what you find.

Jake

theripster

Premium Member
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. Here's the end results. The capacitor tested to be good. I took the motor off the machine and tried it. It seemed to run perfectly. I connected an ohm meter to the motor switch terminals and when it was running they were closed. So I took the transmission out, and looked at the clutch. It was not looking good, so I replaced it. Cleaned everything good and reassembled. Tested it, and it is running like new. I have no idea how the faulty clutch could have caused the noise I was hearing, but I'm glad it is fixed. I appreciate your assistance Jake, because it gave me all the players that needed to be eliminated first. As always, you guys rock and I am once again grateful for your help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job finding it was just the clutch.:)

Here's the clutch for this model, in case others need it too(Video Included):
Clutch 285785

Thanks for the update!

Jake