• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

110.20722990 Kenmore 70 series Washer spins and halts, spins and halts, no matter what

jimburden

Premium Member
Model Number
Brand
Sears Kenmore
The video I took probably says it all:

The washer spins for 5 seconds, crashes to a halt, idles for a while...spins for 5 seconds, crashes to a halt, idles for a while...endlessly.

Even set to OFF, it will do this forever. The only way to stop it is unplugging it. :ghost:

Maybe it's the timer? Or the transmission? (Six months ago its transmission died. I replaced it with a used one from a well-rated online parts store, and it's been running smoothly ever since, no noise or problems, as far as I can tell. This problem came out of nowhere.)

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

jimburden

Premium Member
Looks good, thanks.

What are the odds of some kind of power surge / electrical damage? I'm on the fence over replacing parts vs replacing the whole machine.

jimburden

Premium Member
If the timer AND the lid switch are faulty, it makes me wonder if there was a power surge or something that caused electrical damage to the whole washing machine. Does that ever happen?

rickgburton

Staff member
No, the timer is the problem but it shouldn't spin at all with the lid open unless the lid switch was bypassed.

rickgburton

Staff member
Hmm...remove the cabinet and temporarily bypass the lid switch. Measure the voltage across the white wire and blue wire on spin. Does the voltage change?
WP Motor Switch.jpg

Check the motor switch and the motor windings resistance. Unplug the machine.

To check the motor switch, remove the switch from the motor then remove the wires and mark them so you get them on the right terminals when done. Set your meter to check continuity. Touch one probe to the terminal marked R and the other probe to the terminal marked BK. Push the start lever in and the meter should read closed or 0. Release the lever and the meter should read open or 1. Repeat the test with the meter probes on terminals BU and OR. Lever in- meter should read closed or 0, lever out- meter should read open or 1.
motor switch 3 spd.jpg

Check the motor windings. Between the white wire from the motor and the blue wire from the motor you should read 1 to 4 ohms. Between the white wire from the motor and the black wire from the motor you should read 5 to 20 ohms. Between the white wire and the violet wire you should read 1 to 4 ohms. Between the white wire and the gray wire with pink stripe you should read 1 to 4 ohms
3 speed motor.jpg

jimburden

Premium Member
Hmm, I think I'd rather buy-and-try than go to all that trouble.

Let's say I buy a motor and a lid switch tonight. Are you SURE the problem is one of those two parts? (What about the circuit board?)

rickgburton

Staff member
Do you have your tech sheet for that model? If so, can you post a copy here. If not, I'll ask bigbuck if he has it.
Are you SURE the problem is one of those two parts?
No, I was sure the problem was the timer. The voltage for every component on that machine is supplied through the timer and you said:
Even set to OFF, it will do this forever. The only way to stop it is unplugging it.
If the voltage for the motor comes from the timer, and the timer is off, and the motor runs, I have to conclude the timer is bad. This is a wiring diagram for a two speed machine. Even if you don't understand wiring diagrams I think I can explain it enough for you to understand what I'm trying to explain. The Neutral side of the washer motor comes from the power cord. Timer contacts have the contact # under them.
Contacts.jpg

With the machine in standby mode, timer set to off, and knob pushed in, L1 ends in the timer. No power to motor.
motor runs 2.jpg

Even if you pull the knob out (On) while in the off position, L1 ends at timer contact #2. No power to motor.
motor runs 3.jpg

OK, you set the machine on spin cycle, pull the knob out, and leave the lid open. Now L1 can't get past the lid switch. No power to motor.
motor runs 4.jpg

Everything working properly, motor runs.
motor runs 1.jpg

You say the only way to stop it, is unplug it, so I'm thinking bad timer and I notice in your video the lid is open so I'm thinking maybe a bad lid switch also. You replace the timer and have the exact same problem. Like throwing a monkey wrench in the gears....LOL. The only thing I can think of is maybe a short in the motor windings or wiring harness. I don't know what I'm missing that's why I asked about your wiring diagram.

rickgburton

Staff member
... the washer WILL fill with water when the dial is set to CLEAN.
OK, I think you're missing something. I just don't know what yet. So let's start over. Put the machine on a normal wash cycle, tub empty, and start it. Describe in details what happens.

rickgburton

Staff member
Check the pressure switch. Tub empty, you should have continuity between the violet* and pink wires and no continuity (open) between the violet and tan wires. Blow in the switch and you should hear a distinct click and the continuity readings should be the opposite. Blow through the pressure switch hose to clear it.

*remove the violet wire from the switch before taking measurements